Easy homemade pumpkin butter is made from scratch on the stovetop for a deliciously creamy fall treat. Use it in desserts, muffins, or in savory dishes!
As if apple butter wasn’t yummy enough, this easy homemade pumpkin butter is smooth and velvety making it the perfect sidekick for your fall recipes.
Fun fact: there’s actually no butter in pumpkin or apple butter.
I know, so weird right. I think they call it pumpkin “butter” because it has that creamy smooth consistency of butter that’s super spreadable.
It’s simply just a combination of fall spices, acid from lemon juice and apple juice, and your pureed pumpkin.
I don’t think it’s officially Fall in my house until I make some homemade pumpkin or apple butter. It’s super easy to make can be used with so many things, sweet or savory.
What is pumpkin butter made of?
- Pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- Apple cider or apple juice
- Lemon Juice
- Light Brown Sugar
- Fall Spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice
You can also add bourbon or maple syrup for a bourbon pumpkin butter or maple pumpkin butter variation (see recipe notes below).
Homemade pumpkin Butter Uses:
- Spread on baked goods (muffins, pound cake, coffee cake, etc)
- Filling in cakes or cupcakes
- Brushed on chicken or pork
- Pour into small mason jars and give as gifts
- Baked Brie
Some of my favorite pumpkin butter recipes:
- Gourmet Pumpkin Butter Grilled Cheese with Prosciutto
- Savory Pumpkin Butter Crostini Appetizers with Caramelized Onions & Sage
- Creamy Pumpkin Butter Chicken
- Apple and Pumpkin Butter Crostata with Oat Crumble
- Pumpkin Butter Bars
Pumpkin butter is vegan and gluten free (woohoo!).
My favorite way to eat some pumpkin butter is to spread it on a piece of toast. Mmmm, so simple yet so good.
Side notes for this easy homemade pumpkin butter recipe:
Pumpkin Butter will last in an airtight container or sealed jar for up to two months.
You can freeze pumpkin butter for up to one year in a zip lock freezer bag or a food safe airtight storage container.
Make sure you keep careful watch of your pot while cooking the pumpkin butter. Since it has a thick consistency, you won’t notice it bubbling as much so be sure to stir it frequently so the bottom doesn’t burn.
Easy Homemade Pumpkin Butter
- 29 oz can Pumpkin Puree or about 2 cups of fresh puree
- 1 cup Apple cider or 100% Apple juice
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Light brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup/Agave
- 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- Pinch Salt
- Add all ingredients to a medium size saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble.
- Turn down to low, and continue cooking for another 25 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Remove from heat and store in mason jars or airtight heat safe storage containers.