Creamy pumpkin butter chicken is a deliciously, easy version of the classic Indian butter chicken recipe substituting pumpkin butter and cozy warm fall spices.
Classic Indian Butter Chicken is traditionally used with tomato puree and garam masala spice, but in this version we’re replacing the tomato with homemade pumpkin butter and an assortment of warm fall spices.
Velvety & Creamy Pumpkin Butter Chicken is a comforting and easy fall dinner recipe using warm and fragrant spices that’s served over rice.
This dish is perfect for a cold day. It’s warms you from the inside out with cozy spices simmered in a decadent and silky smooth butter sauce. If you’re looking for a unique and flavorful comforting dish, this is your recipe.
It starts by marinating succulent chicken thighs overnight. Yogurt and spices are mixed together and lathered on the chicken, making it moist and flavorful before cooking.
The sauce has a beautiful silky velvety texture created from the addition of the pumpkin butter and hint of milk.
Creamy Pumpkin Butter Chicken is reminscent of tikka masala with the same warm and fragrant spices. It’s beautifully balanced with sweet and savory flavors making it a perfect Autumn dinner recipe.
You can find my recipe for Easy 30 minute Homemade Pumpkin Butter here!
For more Pumpkin Butter Recipes Try:
Apple & Pumpkin Butter Crostada with Oat Crumble Topping
Gourmet Pumpkin Butter Grilled Cheese with Prosciutto
Savory Pumpkin Butter Crostini Appetizers with Caramelized Onions & Sage
Creamy Pumpkin Butter Chicken
- 1.5 lb Boneless skinless chicken thighs about 6 pieces
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper optional
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Clove
- 1/2 tsp Cardomom
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Pumpkin Butter (see recipe notes)
- 2/3 cup Milk or 1/2 1/2 or light cream
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1.5 cup Rice (white, brown, farro, barley, etc)
- Combine yogurt, lemon, and spices in medium bowl. Add in the chicken and combine so chicken is fully covered.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add marinated chicken and cook 4-5 minutes per side until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Add in pumpkin butter, mix to combine.
- Add in milk, apple cider vinegar, and salt. Cover, and simmer 25-30 minutes.
- Add in butter, melt and stir to combine.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Serve in bowl with rice and top with pumpkin butter chicken.
Sign up below for more easy, healthy and low carb recipes!