Small slices of golden crusty bread are smeared with cream cheese and velvety homemade pumpkin butter and topped with caramelized onions and fresh sage. These savory pumpkin butter crostini appetizers are deliciously elegant yet easy to make.
Crostini means “little crusts” in Italian. Don’t they sounds so cute?
Maybe it’s just me but I find that anything mini or little to be so darn cute…mini pumpkins, travel size shampoo, baby shoes (or I’m just a complete weirdo).
Anyways, crostini are small pieces of bread that are toasted or grilled and then topped with pretty much anything you’d like. They’re perfect appetizers and super easy to make…plus they sound fancy ;).
These savory pumpkin butter crostini with caramelized onions & sage are fast and easy vegetarian thanksgiving appetizers that you can make ahead and assemble when you’re ready to eat.
It’s only the beginning of October, but I feel like Thanksgiving is creeping up very quickly this year…
I think it’s because the weather’s been chilly, which usually doesn’t happen until closer to the end of the month. (Although, I shouldn’t speak too soon because it was warm and humid yesterday and the forecast says 79 for Wednesday!)
…Still isn’t going to stop me from making my cozy fall foods!
If you haven’t done so already, check out my easy recipe for homemade pumpkin butter! You’ll find a couple other recipes to use it on, but I think this one is my favorite because it’s so simple yet so yummy.
The slight tanginess of the cream cheese combined with the sweet and savory pumpkin butter and then topped with buttery caramelized onions and earthy sage…I’m telling you these crostini bites are a fall appetizer must!
If you’re looking for easy fall or thanksgiving starters, try this recipe for savory pumpkin butter crostini appetizers with caramelized onions & sage. They’re simple, gourmet and can be made ahead for large groups.
For more pumpkin butter recipes try:
Apple & Pumpkin Butter Crostada with Oat Crumble
Creamy Pumpkin Butter Chicken
Gourmet Pumpkin Butter Grilled Cheese with Prosciutto
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 Yellow onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1 French Baguette, or other small width bread
- 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 1/2-3/4 cup Pumpkin butter, recipe in notes
- 1/4 cup Fresh sage , thinly chopped
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Melt butter over medium-low in medium saute pan.
- Add onions, season with sugar, salt and pepper and stir to coat.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and golden (about 15-20 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice bread on a diagonal into 1" pieces. Lay flat on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake 7-10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove from oven.
- Spread about 1 tbsp of cream cheese onto each bread slice and then top with 1 tbsp or so of pumpkin butter.
- Top with caramelized onions and a sprinkle of fresh sage.
- Serve room temperature.
*Click here for my easy homemade pumpkin butter recipe
*To make ahead: prepare the onions and toasted bread as instructed. Store onions in small container and place toasted bread in a zip lock bag. When ready to serve, assemble as listed in recipe.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sign up below for more easy, healthy and low carb recipes!