Apple & Pumpkin Butter Crostada with Oat Crumble topping-an easy and creative fall dessert recipe sure to impress!
Pie is my absolute FAVORITE thing to eat & bake…it’s flaky, buttery, tart, sweet, and the flavor combinations are limitless!
If there’s one thing you’ll notice about me it’s that I’m not the neatest cook/baker. My food may not always look perfect but it tastes darn good and I think that’s most important.
Which is exactly one of the reasons why I love making crostada: it’s very similar to pie except it’s more rustic and doesn’t have to be perfectly uniformed which (if you can’t tell) is A-OK by me.
Apple & Pumpkin Butter Crostada with Oat Crumble has both fall favorites, apple & pumpkin, baked in a homemade pie dough and topped with a delicious buttery oat crumb topping. This easy fall dessert is quite impressive.
You’ve never tasted good pie until you’ve made your own pie dough.
Seriously, I’m telling you, there’s a HUGE difference and you’ll be amazed at how easy it is.
This Apple & Pumpkin Crostada recipe is the epitome of fall desserts. It’s like an apple crisp meets pumpkin meets crumble apple pie.
The best part is you can make this recipe ahead of time which is perfect for thanksgiving dessert!
Click here for my easy homemade pumpkin butter recipe!
And for more delicious Pumpkin Butter Recipes, try these:
Gourmet Pumpkin Butter Grilled Cheese with Prosciutto
Creamy Pumpkin Butter Chicken
Savory Pumpkin Butter Crostini Appetizers with Caramelized Onions & Sage
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 stick Butter, cold, (cut into small cubes)
- 2 tbsp Ice cold water
Apple & Pumpkin Butter Filling
- 2 cups Apples, peeled, cored & thinly sliced
- 1 cup Pumpkin butter, (see recipe notes)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Light brown sugar
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- pinch Salt
- 1 Egg, (for egg wash)
Oat Crumble Topping
- 1 cup Rolled oats, old fashioned
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 stick Butter, cold, cold
Crostada Pie Dough:
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor. Pulse a few times to combine
- Add in butter cubes and pulse until you have pea size crumbs.
- Slowly stream in the ice water and pulse until combined. (Dough will be ready when it holds it shape when you squeeze it in your hands)
- Add 1 tbsp more water if necessary if dough is too dry.
- Dump out onto a lightly flour surface and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Apple & Pumpkin Butter Filling:
- Place sliced apples, pumpkin butter, lemon juice, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in medium size bowl. Toss to combine.
- Lightly whisk egg in small bowl and set aside.
Oat Crumble Topping:
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in butter and using pastry cutter or with a fork, cut the butter into the mixture until fully incorporated. You should have dime size crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet or cooking stone with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to 12-14" circle (It doesn't have to be perfectly round or uniform!)
- Place apple filling in middle of the dough, leaving about a 3" border.
- Fold in edges over the apples, overlapping every couple of inches.
- Top with crumb topping (you may have some leftover).
- Lightly brush dough with egg wash.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until crust is golden brown, rotating halfway in between.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional).
*Click here for my easy homemade Pumpkin Butter recipe!
*To make ahead: make dough and keep in refrigerator for up to 3 days or in freezer for up to 6 months. Crumb topping can also be made and stored in airtight container for 1 week in refrigerator or 6 months in freezer.
*Make sure to use firm apples such as Granny Smith, Gala or Honey crisp so they don't get mushy or mealy once baked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sign up below for more easy, healthy and low carb recipes!