Crockpot Thai beef stew made with broccoli, coconut milk and greeny curry is a flavorful & easy family dinner, served over noodles or rice.
I'm getting married in 5 days. FIVE DAYS PEOPLE. I haven't even freaked out yet. Not that I'm supposed to, but everyone keeps asking me if I'm nervous and that is the only thing making me nervous because I'm not nervous yet (emphasis on the "yet").
I told John if I don't make it down the aisle it's not because I backed out but because I either fell or passed out from nervousness.
Just kidding...I'm super excited. Like nervous excited that this thing I've been planning for almost 2 years is finally here.
And aside from the fact that I'm getting married, I'm going to Thailand for my honeymoon. I really don't know which I'm more excited for ;).
So in honor of our Thailand honeymoon, I've created this crockpot Thai beefs stew recipe.
It's loaded with flavor and easy to make. A little flair on your typical beef stew recipe.
How to make crockpot Thai beef stew:
- Place the beef in a zip lock bag with flour, salt, pepper, ginger and garlic. Shake until all the beef is coated.
- Heat sesame oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add beef, in batches to not crowd the pan, and cook about 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Place in bottom of the crockpot.
- In the same pan, add green curry paste and cook 1 minute. Whisk in coconut milk and brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and add to crockpot.
- Add in carrots, bell pepper and onions. Stir to combine. Turn crockpot on low setting for 8-10 hours until the meat is falling apart.
- 20 minutes before serving, turn crockpot to high, combine cornstarch with 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp green curry paste, and about ¼ cup of the broth in the crockpot, stir to combine and add back to the crockpot along with broccoli florets. Cook until broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Serve over noodles or rice with scallions and sesame seeds.
Tips on making slow cooker Asian beef:
- The best cuts of beef that work for this recipe: chuck roast, short ribs, or just "stew beef" which comes already cut into small pieces.
- Green curry paste can be found in the international aisle at your grocery store (or on amazon!). It's made with lemon grass, green chilles, lime peel and ginger which gives this stew it's delicious flavor and aroma.
- Don't skip on browning the meat before placing it in the slow cooker!!! Browning it locks in the moisture and gives that fall-apart/melt-in-your-mouth texture.
John and I will be taking a Thai cooking class while in Bangkok and words can't describe how excited I am for this!!!
We get to go to the market and pick our ingredients and then the chef shows us 4 authentic dishes, including this green curry paste.
I can't wait to share what I've learned with ya'll :).
Some other easy crockpot family dinners:
- Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Fall Apart Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Balsamic Dijon Gravy
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pork Tenderloin
- Crockpot French Onion Beef Stroganoff
- 3 lbs. Chuck Beef, cut into 2" pieces and extra fat trimmed
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp Green Curry Paste, divided
- 1 13.5 oz. can Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Soy Sauce, divided
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar, or Honey
- 1 Head of Broccoli, cut into Florets
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- Scallions, sliced thin, for serving
- Sesame Seeds, for serving (optional)
- Noodles or Rice, for serving
- Place beef in a large zip lock bag. Add flour, pepper, salt, ground ginger and garlic powder. Seal the bag and shake until all the meat is evenly coated.
- In a large sauté pan, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add meat and cook 2-3 minutes per side until browned, remove and place in the bottom of your slow cooker along with carrots, onions and bell pepper.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp of green curry paste and cook, whisking occasionally for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in coconut milk, ¼ cup of soy sauce and brown sugar, cooking another 2-3 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble. Add to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender and falling apart.
- About 20 minutes before serving, turn your slow cooker to high. In a small bowl, whisk together corn starch, ¼ cup of the liquid in the crockpot, remaining ¼ cup of soy sauce and 1 tbsp of green curry paste. Stir into slow cooker, add broccoli florets, cover and cook 20 minutes until the liquid has thickened slightly and broccoli is fork tender.
- Serve over noodles or rice and top with scallions and sesame seeds if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g