Healthy air fryer beef Chimichangas are a quick and easy dinner that’s a healthier version of the fried American-Mexican classic.
I seriously LOVE my air fryer.
Well, technically it’s not mine it’s my sister’s, but I like to think it’s been inherited especially because I’ve been using it more than her and I make her amazing things in it like these beef chimichangas ;).
I really didn’t think I’d use it much more than to make roasted potatoes once in a great moon.
Boy, was I wrong…
Air fried fish, Brussels’ sprouts, THE BEST crispy chicken wings, sweet potato fries. My goodness the possibilities are endless.
Plus, when it’s 100 degrees out and you don’t feel like turning on your oven but you reallllyyy want some good roasted potatoes to go with that grilled steak…AIR FRYER the heck out of them (and they take way less time to cook!)
Okay, enough about the air fryer, let’s talk chimichangas…
Air fryer beef chimichangas are made with flour tortillas that are filled with seasoned ground beef, refried beans and topped with sour cream, shredded lettuce and whatever else your heart desires.
What’s the difference between a burrito and chimichanga?
The biggest difference is that a traditional chimichanga is deep fried until crispy and golden while burritos stay soft in the flour tortilla.
What’s in air fryer chimichangas?
- refried beans
- ground beef (seasoned with Mexican seasoning)
- shredded cheese
Other ingredients you can add to your chimichangas:
- bell peppers
- black beans
How to make your healthy air fryer beef chimichangas:
Cook your ground beef (or chicken) with the Mexican seasoning and salsa until browned.
Spread refried beans onto each flour tortilla, then top with beef, and shredded cheese, keeping the mixture more towards the middle.
Fold the tortilla in to the middle, then the other edge, so they’re slightly overlapping
Then, fold the two ends up towards the middle, pushing the filling up as you fold.
Once your chimichangas are folded, brush both sides with a little oil and place in your air fryer (two at a time).
Bake at 400 degrees for about 7-9 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
Topping ideas for air fryer chimichangas:
- sour cream
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- pico de gallo
So if these air fried chimichangas are making you think you want to indulge in an air fryer, I’ve linked to amazon for a really great, decently priced air fryer that I love and use weekly.
I will say, if you’re willing to spend a little extra, it is worth it to buy the bigger air fryer, especially if you plan on using it for family dinners.
I have friends that see my air fryer and wish they spent the extra for the larger one just for convenience.
This one is made by Tidylife, it’s a 6.3 QT and has a digital screen with pre-programmed settings like French fries, fish, or veggies, making it super easy to use.
And yes, I do make a small commission if you end up buying that air fryer, but as with my other affiliate links, I will NEVER link to something I haven’t used before or don’t trust…. Just for your peace of mind :).
For more easy Mexican inspired Dishes try:
- Mexican Chicken Foil Packets
- Crockpot Chipotle Barbacoa (Mexican Shredded Beef)
- Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Cheesy Mexican Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp mexican seasoning, see recipe notes
- 1/3 cup salsa (or diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained)
- 4 soft flour tortillas (I used medium-taco size)
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
Topping Ingredients (Optional)
- sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- guacamole or avocado
- pico de gallo or diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- chopped cilantro
- Add ground beef and Mexican seasonings to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon until browned. Stir in salsa and set aside.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of refried beans onto your flour tortillas, leaving about a 1” border around the edges. Add ground beef on top of the refried beans, then shredded cheese.
- Fold one edge of the tortilla in to the middle, then the other edge, so they’re slightly overlapping. Then, fold the two ends up towards the middle, pushing the filling up as you fold. You should have a rectangle shaped pocket.
- Brush (or spray) the chimichangas lightly with oil, then place in your air fryer (two at a time to so you don’t over crowd them).
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until crispy and deep golden brown.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
*You can use store bought Taco seasoning or homemade Mexican seasoning.
*You can use ground chicken or turkey, shredded chicken or carne asada beef.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 555Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 1830mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 45g