Healthy Air Fryer Beef Chimichangas
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission (to support my tea drinking habit) if you click a link and buy something. Please check out my full DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Healthy air fryer beef Chimichangas are a quick and easy dinner that’s a healthier version of the fried American-Mexican classic.
I seriously LOVE my air fryer.
Well, technically it’s not mine it’s my sister’s, but I like to think it’s been inherited especially because I’ve been using it more than her and I make her amazing things in it like these chimichangas ;).
I really didn’t think I’d use it much more than to make roasted potatoes once in a great moon.
Boy, was I wrong…
Air fried fish, Brussels’ sprouts, THE BEST crispy chicken wings, sweet potato fries. My goodness the possibilities are endless.
Plus, when it’s 100 degrees out and you don’t feel like turning on your oven but you reallllyyy want some good roasted potatoes to go with that grilled steak…AIR FRYER the heck out of them (and they take way less time to cook!)
Okay, enough about the air fryer, let’s talk chimichanga :).
These air fryer beef chimichangas are made with flour tortillas that are filled with seasoned ground beef, refried beans and topped with sour cream, shredded lettuce and whatever else your heart desires.
What’s the difference between a burrito and chimichanga?
The biggest difference is that a traditional chimichanga is deep fried until crispy and golden while burritos stay soft in the flour tortilla.
What’s in a chimichanga?
Traditionally some type of seasoned meat like ground beef or shredded chicken, cheese and refried beans.
Feel free to add anything you’d like to your chimichangas: bell peppers, onions, black beans, corn, etc.
I like loading up my chimichangas with various toppings after they’re baked to avoid any sogginess.
How to make your healthy air fryer beef chimichangas:
Cook your ground beef (or chicken) with the Mexican seasoning and salsa until browned.
Spread refried beans onto each flour tortilla, then top with beef, shredded lettuce (if desired) and shredded cheese, keeping the mixture more towards the middle.
Fold the tortilla in to the middle, then the other edge, so they’re slightly overlapping
Then, fold the two ends up towards the middle, pushing the filling up as you fold.
Once your chimichangas are folded, brush both sides with a little oil and place in your air fryer (two at a time).
Bake at 400 degrees for about 7-9 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
So if these air fried chimichangas are making you think you want to indulge in an air fryer, I’ve linked to amazon for a really great, decently priced air fryer that I love and use weekly.
I will say, if you’re willing to spend a little extra, it is worth it to buy the bigger air fryer, especially if you plan on using it for family dinners.
I have friends that see my air fryer and wish they spent the extra for the larger one just for convenience.
This one is made by Tidylife, it’s a 6.3 QT and has a digital screen with pre-programmed settings like French fries, fish, or veggies, making it super easy to use.
And yes, I do make a small commission if you end up buying that air fryer, but as with my other affiliate links, I will NEVER link to something I haven’t used before or don’t trust…. Just for your peace of mind :).
Healthy Air Fryer Beef Chimichangas
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tbsp Mexican Seasoning see recipe notes
- 1/3 cup Salsa
- 4 Soft Flour Tortillas
- 1 16 oz can Refried Beans
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Sour Cream for serving
- 1 cup Shredded Lettuce plus more for serving
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Cilantro chopped, for serving
- Guacamole optional
- Add ground beef and Mexican seasonings to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon until browned. Stir in salsa and set aside.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of refried beans onto your flour tortillas, leaving about a 1” border around the edges. Add ground beef on top of the refried beans, then cheese and shredded lettuce. Fold one edge of the tortilla in to the middle, then the other edge, so they’re slightly overlapping. Then, fold the two ends up towards the middle, pushing the filling up as you fold. You should have a rectangle shaped pocket.
- Brush the chimichangas lightly with oil, then place in your air fryer (two at a time to so you don’t over crowd them).
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until crispy and deep golden brown.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.