These easy spinach & cheese stuffed steak roll ups with balsamic, gorgonzola & sun dried tomatoes are a low carb and healthy dinner recipe.
Anything that involves “stuffed” & “cheese” is guaranteed delicious 99.999% of the time. Anyone else feel this way?
These spinach & cheese stuffed steak roll ups are not only quick and easy to make for dinner, but they’re low carb & healthy.
Quick and easy because these days, especially in the summer, I’m finding it hard to focus on making & planning dinners because my mind wants so badly to be at the beach or at the pool, or even just on my deck sipping some sparkling lavender lemonade.
Low carb and healthy because I am getting married in less than 80 days and really need to kick my butt in gear and start being more “balanced” in my weekly meal planning. Less ice cream more protein & veggies if ya know what I mean.
Grilled steak roll ups start with thin slices of flank or round cut steak that are brushed with a little balsamic and Italian seasonings, then layered with fresh cooked spinach, gorgonzola cheese crumbles, and sun dried tomatoes, then rolled up and grilled or pan seared.
Now let’s talk types of steak to use for your grilled balsamic steak roll ups with spinach & cheese:
At my market, I can usually find already pre-cut, thinly sliced steak that comes in a package of 4-6. It’s called “bracciole” cut which is what you would use for Italian bracciole.
However, if your market doesn’t sell this you can use either flank or top round steak. Sometimes you can even find “London broil” which butchers will use to refer to flank or top round steak.
Flank steak is best when cooked at high heat for a short amount of time which is why it works perfectly for this recipe.
You can also use top-round steak, but either way you’ll want to pound the steak to about 1/4″ thickness if it’t not already thinly sliced.
Both cuts of meat will work well in this recipe and they’re inexpensive making them perfect for family dinner!
To make your stuffed flank roll ups:
Cut your flank or top round steak into 4 individual slices. If the steak is not already thin, be sure to pound each piece to about ¼” thickness.
Generously brush both sides of steak with balsamic mixture.
Layer each slices evenly with sauteed spinach, gorgonzola crumbles and chopped sun dried tomatoes.
Roll each slice up and secure with a toothpick. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side until slight grill marks or you can heat a non-stick medium pan over medium-high heat and cook each roll up 3-4 minutes per side until slightly browned.
These amazing steak roll ups are made in under 30 minutes for an incredibly delicious and easy weeknight dinner that’s also gluten free.
What to serve with steak roll ups?
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Brown Rice, Quinoa or other grain
- Green Beans
- Extra Sauteed Spinach
For more easy & healthy family dinners try:
Steak Roll Ups with Spinach & Cheese
- 1.5 lbs Flank or Top-Round Steak thin sliced or pounded thin
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 16 oz. Fresh Spinach
- 1/3 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes drained of oil
- 4 oz. Gorgonzola crumbles
- Cut steak into 4 equal pieces, pounding to about 1/4" thickness if needed. Combine salt, pepper, balsamic, 2 tbsp olive oil and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Brush onto both sides of steak.
- In a large sauté pan, cook spinach with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil until wilted.
- Layer each piece of steak evenly with cooked spinach, sun dried tomatoes and Gorgonzola crumbles. Start at one end and roll up each steak tightly and secure ends with a toothpick.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add each steak roll up and cook 3-4 minutes per side until nice grill marks.
- Slice and serve.