This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias
Oven baked Mexican chicken foil packets are a quick & easy 30 minute dinner made healthier with Mazola® Corn Oil, fresh veggies, black beans, corn, Greek yogurt & salsa. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
Did you know February is Heart Health Month? Makes sense seeing how Valentine’s day is right around the corner 😊.
Sticking with the better-for-you theme for heart health month, I’ve created these Mexican chicken foil packets with a little help from Mazola® Corn Oil; they're packed with vitamins, protein and tons of flavor!
Made with fresh bell peppers, onions, zucchini, black beans and corn all tossed in a homemade Mexican seasoning blend and Mazola corn oil. The veggies are topped with seasoned chicken breast and finished with a dollop of Greek yogurt, fresh salsa and shredded cheese, then baked in the oven.
Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family.
(*See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.)
To make this recipe better for you, I replaced three ingredients with better for you options:
- I replaced Canola oil with Mazola Corn Oil-the corn oil has a neutral taste, letting my Mexican flavors really shine through!
- I replaced Sour cream with Greek yogurt-a low fat alternative, and it's higher in protein.
- I replaced Taco seasoning packet with my easy homemade Mexican blend-much less sodium and no preservatives.
Mazola Corn Oil has more cholesterol-blocking plant sterols than other cooking oils – four times more than olive oil and one and a half times more than canola oil. Clinical studies indicate that when consumed as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, plant sterols can help reduce the absorption of cholesterol in the gut. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
Reducing saturated fats and cholesterol can help keep your heart healthy & happy!
Ingredients used in Mexican Chicken Foil Packets:
- Mazola Corn Oil
- Bell peppers
- Black beans
- Mexican seasonings
- Chicken breast
- Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheese
- Lime juice
This easy 30 minute dinner is low carb, low fat and packed with good-for-you vitamins and protein!
You can easily swap out the zucchini for another favorite vegetable like broccoli or spinach.
If you want to make a vegetarian version, simply omit the chicken and add more vegetables. You'll still get the flavor and protein from the black beans!
Steps for making these chicken foil packets for the oven:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with 4 large sheets of foil (about 8").
- Combine peppers, onions, black beans, corn, zucchini, ¼ cup Mazola Corn Oil , and ½ of the Mexican seasoning in a large bowl. Stir to evenly coat veggies in the seasonings.
- Evenly divide the vegetables into each of the 4 foil packets.
- Add the chicken to the same bowl and coat with remaining seasoning blend on all sides. Place 1 chicken breast on each of the four foil packets.
- Top chicken with sour cream, salsa and cheese. Squeeze about 1 tbsp of lime over each foil packet. Seal the edges and bake about 40-45 minutes or until internal temp of chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven. Serve with brown rice or corn tortillas and a side of avocado and cilantro if desired.
These low carb Mexican chicken foil packets are quick and easy and super flavorful!
I like to prep them ahead (up to 2 days) so all I have to do is pull them out of the refrigerator and bake them for dinner. They even make awesome meal prep for lunches.
What to serve with your oven baked Mexican chicken?
- Brown or white rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Corn tortillas
- Side of sliced avocado & cilantro
For more lighter Mexican recipes try:
- Cheesy Mexican Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- Air Fryer Beef Chimichangas
- Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Crockpot Chipotle Barbacoa Tacos
Mexican Chicken Foil Packets
Oven baked Mexican chicken foil packets are a quick & easy 30 minute dinner made healthy with Mazola corn oil, fresh veggies, black beans, corn, Greek yogurt & salsa.
Mexican Seasoning Blend
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Mexican Chicken Foil Packets
- 1 15 oz can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 bell peppers, seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 1 onion, sliced (red or yellow)
- 2 zucchini, diced
- ¼ cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 4 chicken breasts, thin sliced, boneless, skinless
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup shredded Cheese, mexican blend
- 1 lime
- avocado, cilantro, for serving (optional)
Mexican Seasoning Blend
- Combine all seasonings in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 4, 8” foil pieces on baking sheet.
- In medium bowl, mix together corn, beans, peppers, onions, zucchini, ¼ cup Mazola Corn Oil and about ½ of your Mexican seasoning blend. Divide evenly into 4 foil packets, keeping the mixture mostly in the center of the foil.
- Place chicken in the same medium bowl. Add remaining half of Mexican seasoning blend and toss to evenly coat each piece of chicken. Place 1 piece of chicken per foil packet on top of the veggies.
- Spread Greek yogurt on top of chicken, then salsa, sprinkle with shredded cheese. Squeeze lime juice over each foil packet.
- Seal the edges of the foil packets and bake for 40-45 minutes or until veggies are tender and chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees. Remove and carefully open foil.
- Serve with rice or corn tortillas, avocado and cilantro (if desired).
*Foil packets can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator up to 2 days in advance, uncooked. Once cooked, they will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 packet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 21.74gSaturated Fat: 4.95gUnsaturated Fat: 14.26gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 1390mgCarbohydrates: 39.62gFiber: 10.8gSugar: 4.94gProtein: 33.61g
Leave a Reply