This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HeartHealthyMazola.
Chicken sausage, apple & veggie skillet is a healthy family dinner made in one pan in just 30 minutes! This easy skillet recipe is made healthier with the help of Mazola® Corn Oil. A clinical study showed Mazola® Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
Can you believe September is only a few short weeks away?
Cue the start of fall recipes…pumpkin spice and apple everything!
September is also National Cholesterol Awareness month which is why I’ve teamed up with my friends at Mazola Corn Oil to bring you a healthier, easy family dinner just in time for back to school :).
My chicken sausage, apple & veggie skillet is made in one pan in under 30 minutes for a quick and simple weeknight dinner.
This chicken sausage and apple skillet is made with fall veggies like Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, sautéed in Mazola® Corn Oil, along with warm fall spices like cinnamon, ginger, thyme, sage and rosemary.
Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose cooking oil that is a heart-healthy* choice for your family. Variety of uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
Ingredients needed for chicken sausage, apple & veggie skillet:
- Mazola® Corn Oil
- chicken sausage (I like using apple chicken sausage)
- yellow onion
- Brussels sprouts
- sweet potatoes
- maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
- chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
Aside from loving how easy this skillet dinner is, I also love how versatile it is.
You can swap out/add any ingredients you’d like!
If your family hates Brussels sprouts, substitute for broccoli.
Or if you’d like you can use a mixture of sweet and regular potato, or even butternut squash!
You could even use pears instead of or with the apples for that tart sweetness.
Mix it up however you’d like for your own version of a healthy chicken sausage dinner your family will love!
How to make this healthy chicken sausage dinner:
- Heat Mazola® Corn Oil over medium heat in a large saute pan or cast iron pan (one that you can cover).
- Add Brussels sprouts, onions, sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Remove cover and add chicken sausage, garlic, apples. Cook, covered, for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine maple syrup, Dijon mustard, chicken broth, cinnamon, ginger, thyme, sage and rosemary. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Pour maple-Dijon mixture and stir to evenly coat all ingredients. Cook another 3-4 minutes, uncovered.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed before serving.
Another reason I prefer using Mazola® Corn Oil in this recipe is because of it’s high smoke point.
Mazola® has a high smoke point of 450°F. Many home cooks may not realize that all cooking oils have a smoke point that, once exceeded, only negatively affect the food’s flavor and nutritional value.
That means that using Mazola® Corn Oil, especially when cooking at a high temperature, keeps your ingredients tasting delicious and flavorful!
This chicken sausage and veggie skillet is perfectly balanced with sweet and savory flavors while staying good-for-you and tasty :).
For more healthy dinner recipes try:
*see Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health.
See Mazola.com for more inspirational recipes.
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cubed (about 2 sweet potatoes)
- 8 oz Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups diced apples (about 2 medium apples)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced (about 3-4 cloves)
- 4 chicken sausages, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, fresh or dried
- 2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, fresh or dried
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth (low-sodium preferred)
- Heat Mazola® Corn Oil over medium heat in large saute pan or cast iron skillet (one with a lid that fits).
- Add sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, onion, salt and pepper. Stir to coat, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Stir in apples, garlic and chicken sausage. Cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together: thyme, sage, rosemary, cinnamon, ginger, maple syrup, Dijon mustard and broth.
- Remove cover from pan. Add maple Dijon mixture and toss to evenly coat the vegetables.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, for additional 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened and slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and serve.
*I prefer keeping the skin on the sweet potatoes and apples (the skin contains fiber!), however if you prefer you can peel it off.
*You can also use broccoli, pears or butternut squash as mentioned above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 754mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 9gSugar: 29gProtein: 27g