This easy s'mores trifle is made with layers of graham cracker vanilla cake, chocolate pudding and whipped marshmallow cream. It's the perfect dessert for your next summer cookout or party!
If there's one dessert that always comes to the rescue when you have zero clue what to make nor the time to make it, it's a good ole' trifle.
Ladies and gents, this s'mores trifle dessert could not be any easier (or delicious!).
Made with layers of yellow cake, chocolate pudding, marshmallow whipped cream with sprinkles of mini toasted marshmallows, Hershey's chocolate pieces and graham crackers.
The hardest part of this trifle recipe is trying not to lick so much off the spoon as you layer it into your bowl ;).
Aside from it's incredible easiness, this s'mores dessert can be made ahead until your ready to bring it to your cookout, party, etc.
Speaking of cookouts, Monday is labor day and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
I LOVE fall, but this summer just went by too quickly and I'm not sure I'm ready to let go.
At least we have this s'mores dessert trifle to get us through the end of summer...
S'mores Trifle Ingredients:
- 1 box yellow cake mix (or you can use your favorite homemade recipe!)
- graham cracker crumbs + pieces for layering
- 1 box chocolate pudding
- heavy whipping cream
- marshmallow creme
- Hershey's chocolate bar pieces
- mini marshmallows
Normally I like to make every component of a recipe from scratch, but sometimes life gets in the way and you just have to go with the shortcuts.
That doesn't mean you can't make a homemade yellow cake or homemade chocolate pudding if your little heart desires, I say go for it!
The one thing I do make from scratch for this trifle recipe is the whipped cream.
I just find it so easy and SO much better when you whip the cream yourself.
However, please feel free to use cool whip instead if you want.
How to make S'mores Trifle Dessert:
- Add yellow cake mix to large mixing bowl and add graham cracker crumbs. Follow the rest of the recipe according to package directions and bake.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate pudding according to box directions. Set aside.
- Make the marshmallow whipped cream: place heavy cream in large bowl of stand mixer (or use your hand mixer) and beat until soft peaks form. Add marshmallow creme and beat until stiff peaks form (the cream should hold it's shape). Set aside.
- Once the cake has baked and cooled, it's time to assemble your trifle: in your trifle bowl place yellow cake pieces on the bottom then layer with half the chocolate pudding and half the marshmallow creme. Top with graham cracker pieces, Hershey's chocolate pieces and mini marshmallows. Using a kitchen torch, lightly torch the marshmallows until lightly browned.
- Repeat with second layer.
You may have extra cake left over which you can eat or freeze!
If you don't have kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows, I suggest placing the marshmallows on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and broiling them until toasted, then use them in your trifle.
Keep very careful watch because they will burn VERY quick and easily.
You can also make individual s'mores trifles by preparing in mason jars or other serving jars.
Can this s'mores trifle be made ahead?
I don't reccomend assembling the trifle ahead because the graham crackers will get soggy.
That being said, feel free to make the components ahead of time and then assembling the day you plan on serving or eating it!
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
S'more Trifle Variations:
- Add crushed peanut butter cups
- Drizzle salted caramel on top of the toasted marshmallows
- Add crushed pretzel pieces for a little sweet and salty combo!
- Sprinkle crushed Oreo pieces.
- Make it a s'mores ice cream trifle by adding your favorite ice cream in between the layers!
For more easy summer desserts try:
- triple berry custard pie with crumb topping
- mixed berry oatmeal crumble bars
- roasted strawberry filled cupcakes with whipped cream cheese frosting
- peach blueberry lavender crostata
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to leave me a comment or star rating below, I always love to hear your feedback!
- 1 box vanilla/yellow cake mix
- 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 1 whole sleeve) + graham cracker pieces for layers (about 2-3 crackers)
- 1 box chocolate pudding (I use Hershey's)
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 2 Hershey's chocolate bars broken into pieces
- Place cake mix in large mixing bowl and stir in 1.5 cups of graham cracker crumbs. Follow remaining recipe according to box. Bake and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the chocolate pudding according to package directions and keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the whipped cream: place heavy cream, vanilla and salt in a large bowl of your stand mixer (or use hand blender) and beat until soft peaks form. Add marshmallow creme and beat until stiff peaks form. Mixture should hold it's shape. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once cake has cooled, crumble up enough to cover the bottom of your trifle dish. Layer with half the chocolate pudding and half of the marshmallow whipped cream.
- Top with half of the mini marshmallows, graham cracker pieces and Hershey's chocolate pieces. Torch the marshmallows using a kitchen torch until golden (see recipe notes)
- Repeat they layers once more.
- Serve immediately or store wrapped in your refrigerator for up to 2 days.
*If you don't have a kitchen torch, place oven on broiler setting. Place mini marshmallows on a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes keeping VERY careful watch just until marshmallows are toasted and golden.
*You can bake the cake, prepare the pudding and make the whipped cream up to 2 days ahead and assemble once ready.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 414mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g