Roasted strawberry-filled cupcakes are made with a moist brown butter cake that’s filled with oven roasted strawberries & topped with cream cheese frosting.
As if browned butter wasn’t heavenly enough, pair it with slow roasted caramelized strawberries and O.M.G.
These roasted strawberry-filled cupcakes remind me of a homemade strawberry pie…buttery, sweet and tart with fluffy whipped frosting…I’m already drooling.
My last effort to hold onto all my favorite summer produce. Farewell juicy peaches, berries, tomatoes, and corn. Until we meet again next year…
Okay, so let’s talk roasted strawberries: I’ve never roasted strawberries before this recipe and all I can say is shame on me because it’s SO easy.
Slow roasting the berries adds a dimension of flavor that intensifies the sweetness yet keeps the delicious tartness for a delicious, caramelized strawberry flavor.
Not only are these roasted strawberries amazingly delicious in the brown butter cupcakes, but they can be used as a savory ingredient too like in this roasted strawberry & goat cheese crostini.
How to make roasted strawberries:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Place halved strawberry slices in a medium sized bowl. Toss with sugar and vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Lay evenly on the baking sheet, try not to overlap. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until strawberries are softened and the juices have thickened.
These homemade strawberry-filled cupcakes are made with a moist brown butter cake.
If you’ve never made brown butter before you can check out my brown butter post which gives you a quick tutorial on how to make brown butter.
It’s nutty, rich and well, buttery. Hello gorgeous!
The brown butter cupcake recipe is from A Bajillion Recipes– they’re easy, moist and super yummy.
The cupcakes are then filled with those sweet and tart roasted strawberries before getting topped with fluffy whipped cream frosting.
Like a strawberry pie in cupcake cake form…no rolling out of dough necessary.
Side note: I love using my stainless steel disher to easily fill my cupcake liners with the batter. It makes them all uniform and makes life much easier. It’s less than $20 on amazon (link below). You can also use it for cookies too and ice cream of course ;).
P.S. Are you a frosting or cake kind of person?
If I had to choose, frosting or cake I’d eat all the frosting I could before I even tasted the cake.
When I went to Johnson & Wales we had a cakes class where we learned to make various kinds of buttercream frostings. No lie, I’d literally sit there and eat spoonfuls of frosting. No shame here my friends.
Those were my “thicker” body days…don’t even get me started on breads class…
This whipped cream cheese frosting takes minutes to make and is fluffy, smooth and creamy. Pretty much everything you need a frosting to be.
And yes, I would gladly eat this cream cheese frosting by the spoonful if opportunity rises (and if I didn’t have to fit in my wedding dress in 38 days!!!!).
For more cupcake recipes try my:
- Brown Butter Pecan Cupcakes
- Dark Chocolate & Wine Filled Raspberry Cupcakes
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow Frosting
Oven Roasted Strawberries
- 1 lb. Strawberries, ends removed and cut in half
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Brown Butter Cupcakes
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened (1/2 block)
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2-2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4-1/2 cup of Heavy Cream
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place strawberries in a medium bowl. Toss with sugar and vanilla. Spread evenly onto baking sheet, trying not to overlap.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until strawberries are softened and the juices are slightly thickened. Set aside.
Brown Butter Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. As the butter melts, it will start to foam. Keep cooking until it starts to brown. It should have a nutty aroma with brown specks. Once browned, remove from heat and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, or in your stand mixer, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Add the browned butter, sour cream, and egg, continuing to stir with the whisk until combined.
- Add the buttermilk along with the vanilla and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Add softened cream cheese and butter to mixing bowl or bowl of your stand mixer. Whip until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly and gradually add in the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time. Add in 1/4 cup of heavy cream, vanilla and salt and whip on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add more heavy cream or additional powdered sugar. to achieve desired consistency. It should hold it's shape while being light and fluffy.
To Assemble Cupcakes:
- Using a small paring knife, cut (on an angle) a circle in the tops of the cupcakes. Remove and fill with about 1 tbsp of the roasted strawberries. Place the top back onto the cupcake and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- If desired, drizzled strawberry juices onto the cupcakes. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g