Dark chocolate & red wine filled cupcakes are perfectly moist with hints of coffee, ganache filling and a raspberry whipped cream frosting. These homemade chocolate cupcakes are gourmet & decadent, yet easy to make!
Dark chocolate & red wine filled cupcakes with ganache and whipped cream: heavenly, indulgent, and quite easy to make-completely from scratch.
These cupcakes sound extra fancy, but I promise you they’re fairly easy and don’t require any extravagant baking knowledge or expertise.
You just need an apron, some music, and a spoon ready for licking (trust me you’re gonna want to spoon-lick each component of these cupcakes!)
Velvety and moist dark chocolate cake is laced with espresso coffee then filled with a silky smooth pinot noir infused ganache and topped with a luscious fresh raspberry whipped cream frosting for a truly romantic cupcake recipe.
The recipe makes about 30 cupcakes, but I went ahead and divided the recipe to make about 15-18 standard cupcakes.
Coffee pairs beautifully with chocolate (like my Lavender Mocha Chip Ice Cream), so I like to add a couple of tablespoons to the batter which really enhances the flavor. Espresso has a nice bold flavor, which is what I used, but you can use regular coffee or even instant coffee granules (see recipe notes)
Don’t be alarmed that your batter is thin and slightly watery. This is exactly how it’s supposed to be!
Ganache is one of those fancy dessert words that tend to impress people because it’s rich, creamy and decadent. If you’re thinking it’s too hard to make you’re so wrong!
Ganache is made with just two simple ingredients: Chocolate Chips + Heavy Cream.
The process of making it is even easier: place chocolate in heatproof bowl, bring cream to a simmer, pour over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
See? Easy and simple but incredibly delicious!
I’m infusing the ganache with pinot noir, which gives it an elegant and slightly fruity flavor. Plus, what better combination than chocolate and wine??? C’mon ladiesssss.
You can use any red wine you’d like, but I prefer the Noir because it’s lighter and not too overpowering.
Raspberry whipped cream…sounds dreamy doesn’t it?
Whipped cream frosting is just as easy to make as the ganache…it’s also made with just 3 ingredients:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
We’re adding a couple of tablespoons of fresh raspberry puree to the whipped cream which balances perfect with the dark chocolate and red wine. It also gives the cupcakes a fresh burst of mouthwatering flavor.
These homemade dark chocolate & red wine filled cupcakes make the perfect Valentine’s Day treat. Beautiful, delicious and easy to make, they’re really a showstopper.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes (makes about 15 cupcakes)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup + 2tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ + ¼ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ + ¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Oil, vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Boiling Water
- 1/4 cup Espresso or Coffee
Pinot Noir Chocolate Ganache (makes about 1.5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips, semisweet
- 1/4 cup Pinot Noir Wine, or any other red wine
- Pinch of salt
Raspberry Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup Frozen Raspberries
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1.5 cups Heavy Whipping Cream, cold
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Raspberries, for garnish (optional)
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with liners
- In a stand with your paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer) mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low speed until fully combined.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on low speed until combined, then turn up to medium speed and mix for additional minute.
- Heat water in a small saucepan until boiling; mix into batter along with espress or coffee (battter will be thin!).
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Pinot Noir Chocolate Ganache:
- Add heavy cream to a small saucepan and heat on low heat until the cream is steaming and just about to boil.
- Add chocolate chips to a large glass or heatproof bowl. Pour the warmed cream over the chocolate chips. Add in the red wine and a pinch of salt. Allow to stand for about 2 minutes to soften the chocolate chips completely, then whisk until completely smooth.
- Let cool to room temperature before filling cupcakes.
Raspberry Whipped Cream Frosting
- For the raspberry puree: place raspberries and sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring frequently until raspberries are broken down and juices are released, about 4-5 minutes. Remove and transfer to a fine mesh strainer placed over a bowl. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, strain the liquid into the bowl and discard the seeds. Let cool completely to room temp (you can speed this process up by placing the bowl in the freezer).
- Place cold whipping cream in stand mixer with whisk attachment (or in a bowl with your hand mixer). Whip on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add in vanilla and cooled raspberry puree (it should be about 3 tbsp), and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. (it should hold its shape)
To assemble Cupcakes:
- Using an apple corer or paring knife, make a small hole in the middle of your cupcakes.
- Fill each hole with about 1 tbsp of cooled ganache.
- Place whipped cream in piping bag and swirl on top of cupcakes. You can also just spread with a small spatula.
- Top each cupcake with 1 fresh raspberry and shaved chocolate (optional)
*Cupcakes can be baked and keep in an airtight container or zip lock bag in the freezer for up to 1 month
*You can use coffee instead of the espresso or you can mix 2 tbsp of instant coffee with 1 tbsp hot water.
*Make sure you are carefully watching the cream on the stove, because once it becomes hot enough to boil, it will bubble over and you will have a big mess!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g