Easy grilled apricot-bourbon BBQ chicken thighs are flavorful and juicy with a perfectly crispy skin. They’re a quick dinner recipe for summer grilling.
I think it’s safe to say that without grilling, summer wouldn’t feel like summer. Who’s with me?
Grilling outside for dinner makes clean-up so much easier and who doesn’t love that? Plus, you don’t have to turn that hot stove on when its 90 degrees out.
This quick grilled chicken recipe uses bone-in chicken thighs with the skin. They’re brushed with a simple and flavorful apricot-bourbon BBQ sauce and grilled until succulent and juicy, yet perfectly crispy.
The BBQ sauce takes minutes to make. It’s got a hint of smokiness from the bourbon with the perfect sweetness from the apricot jam.
Two of my absolute favorites: BBQ + Bourbon.
They make the perfect couple. Maybe even better than me and John…. just kidding, maybe just on some days ;).
To make Apricot bourbon BBQ sauce:
-Simply add your favorite BBQ sauce to a small bowl along with some apricot jam and bourbon.
You can use store bought BBQ sauce or make your own. Dinner at the Zoo has a great and easy recipe for homemade BBQ sauce if you want to give it a try.
Same goes for the apricot jam, you can use store-bought or try homemade apricot jam my friend Alexandra @It’s Not Complicated.
I like using the bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for this grilled chicken recipe because the BBQ sauce caramelizes the skin so it’s super crispy with the perfect char.
You could also use chicken breast or boneless/skinless chicken thighs, just be sure adjust the cooking time. Depending how thick your chicken breasts are they may take a little longer. And for the boneless thighs, they will take shorter.
These grilled apricot-bourbon BBQ chicken thighs make dinner a breeze because they’re quick, easy and go with almost anything!
Sides to go with your easy grilled chicken thighs:
The grilled chicken thighs are also great for those summer cookouts and BBQ’s because they’re effortless, yet delicious.
The leftover BBQ sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 months. It’s great for those last minute quick dinners when you forget to plan ahead or have unexpected company.
God knows I’ve had those nights and magically had to turn a dinner for 2 into a dinner for 4 or 6!
Grilled Apricot-Bourbon BBQ Chicken Thighs
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce store bought or homemade, see recipe notes
- 1/4 cup Whiskey Bourbon
- 1/2 cup Apricot Jam store bought or homemade, see recipe notes
- 6 Chicken Thighs bone-in and skin on
- Preheat grill on medium heat.
- In a medium bowl mix together BBQ sauce, whiskey and apricot jam. Brush onto all sides of the chicken, saving some for basting.
- Spray grill with non-stick spray (careful because there will be flames!). Add the chicken and cook 5-7 minutes per side, brushing with more BBQ sauce when you flip it over.
- Once chicken has grill marks, turn heat down to low and continue cooking until fully cooked through, about another 25 minutes. (If the chicken is turning too black, transfer chicken to indirect heat on the grill.
- Brush with more BBQ sauce last 2-3 minutes of cooking and serve with extra if desired.