Blackberry rosemary whiskey smash is an easy cocktail recipe using fresh blackberries & rosemary, lemon juice, ginger, maple syrup and bourbon!
If you can’t tell I love whiskey. Give it to me on ice, with lemonade, on my steak…you name it, I’ll drink it .
This blackberry rosemary whiskey smash feels like you’re drinking one of those fancy drinks at a high-end bar except it can be made easily in the comfort of your home in your PJ’s sitting by the fire (my perfect Friday night).
Speaking of fancy high-end bars, when John and I visited Thailand for our honeymoon this past fall, we went to some pretty cool rooftop bars in Bangkok (picture the Hangover movie!).
They had the most unique drinks I’ve ever seen…my favorites were a wasabi martini and a lemongrass mojito…seriously soooo good (and refreshing in that 90 degree heat).
Making these blackberry whiskey cocktails made me think of the talented mixologists behind the bar creating our delicious drinks.
Some of the drinks would take a little while to get but looking behind the bar I could see why…each mixologist made these drinks with such detail and skill…and let me tell you, they were well worth the wait ;).
A classic whiskey smash is usually made with sugar, lemon and fresh mint that get muddled together and poured over whiskey with some ice.
Hence where the “smash” comes from…It’s kind of like a mojito but with whiskey.
This whiskey cocktail recipe is a twist on the classic smash with a wintry feel for the perfect winter bourbon drink .
Ingredients used for blackberry whiskey smash cocktail:
- Fresh blackberries
- Fresh Rosemary
- Lemon Juice
- Maple Syrup
- Fresh Ginger
- Bourbon Whiskey
- Club Soda
How to make a whiskey smash:
- Place all ingredients (except the whiskey) in a cocktail shaker or mason jar.
- Use a wooden spoon or muddler (affiliate link) and smash the ingredients together for about 1 minute.
- Add whiskey and stir together. Strain liquid into a glass with ice. Top with club soda and garnish with fresh rosemary sprig and blackberry (if desired).
I prefer straining the mixture before pouring it into my glass but if you don’t mind the texture of the seeds or rosemary then you can certainly serve it all together.
You can mix and match your smash cocktail ingredients by using this simple combination:
Sugar (honey, maple syrup or regular sugar) + fresh fruit (berries, watermelon, citrus etc.) + fresh herbs (basil, mint, sage)
John got a special drink called "Scarface" in Thailand and it had a big square block of ice with an "M" on it (no idea how they got the M on it!).
He loved it so much I found square ice molds on amazon and bought them for him as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.
The bigger block of ice keeps the drink from getting too watered down since the ice cube melts more slowly. Nothing worse than a watered-down cocktail ;).
You can find them on amazon by clicking the link below (affiliate link):
For more easy cocktail recipes try:
- 6 blackberries
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, stem removed
- 1 tsp maple syrup, pure preferred
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp fresh ginger
- 2 oz whiskey bourbon, (about 4 tbsp)
- ¼ cup club soda, plain or lemon flavored
- Place all ingredients (except the whiskey & club soda) in a cocktail shaker or mason jar.
- Use a wooden spoon or muddler and smash the ingredients together for about 1 minute to release juices in the blackberries.
- Add whiskey and stir together. Strain liquid into a glass with ice. Top with club soda.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary sprig and blackberry if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 cocktail
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Unsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 8.77gFiber: 2.2gSugar: 5.89g