This easy basil pesto chicken bake with tomatoes and roasted garlic is healthy and Keto approved! Serve over salad or pasta for a quick summer dinner recipe. Pesto chicken can be baked in the oven or grilled.
I go a little pesto crazy in the summer.
It’s just so easy to make and it’s good on just about anything. Plus, I love using my fresh basil or arugula in the garden :).
This basil pesto chicken bake is made with chicken breast, cherry tomatoes, lemon and roasted garlic and it’s one of my favorite summer recipes.
It’s super simple and easy, yet deliciously healthy!
If I feel like going low carb I can put the pesto chicken over a salad or if I want something more hearty, I can put it over pasta.
You can bake the pesto chicken with tomatoes in the oven or you can take it outside to the grill :).
Ingredients needed for basil pesto chicken bake:
- chicken breasts: I prefer the thin sliced ones or you can slice the regular ones in half
- basil pesto: I like trader Joe’s kale, cashew, & basil pesto or you can use homemade!
- fresh lemon juice
- whole garlic cloves (don’t worry, they’re delicious once roasted!)
- cherry/grape tomatoes
- lemon slices
- olive oil
- balsamic drizzle: optional, for serving
- mozzarella cheese (optional but SO good!)
As mentioned above, I really love the Trader’s Joe’s kale, cashew and basil pesto.
You can use any type of store bought pesto or you can use your favorite homemade recipe!
How to make healthy baked pesto chicken:
- Marinate your chicken breasts in pesto and lemon juice for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place marinated chicken in bottom of a 13×9″ glass baking dish. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of lemon.
- Add cherry tomatoes and whole garlic cloves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Cover with aluminum and bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through (internal temp of 165 F), garlic is softened and tomatoes have started to burst.
To grill: preheat grill to medium heat. Place tomatoes, garlic cloves and chicken in a foil packet. Grill for 30-40 minutes or until fully cooked.
What to serve with pesto chicken?
- Serve over an arugula or spinach salad with grated Parmesan, balsamic glaze & fresh lemon wedges
- Cut the chicken into bite sized strips and toss over pasta (add a little olive oil if needed).
- Serve with a side of sauteed spinach or zucchini.
- Serve over whole grains like wild rice, barley or farro.
For more easy summer dinner recipes try:
- Grilled summer vegetable pasta with crispy prosciutto
- Hasselback peach caprese chicken
- Spinach & cheese stuffed steak rollups
- Grilled apricot bourbon BBQ chicken thighs
- 4, chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 slices of lemon
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 8 whole garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Place chicken breasts, basil pesto, and lemon juice in a zip lock bag. Rub the bag with your hands to coat each piece of chicken. Marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a 13 x 9" glass baking dish, add the marinated chicken breasts and top each piece with a slice of lemon.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and whole garlic cloves to the baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (internal temp of 165 F) and tomatoes have started to burst.
- Serve over salad or toss with pasta with shaved Parmesan cheese and balsamic glaze.
Optional: Before topping the chicken with lemon, top with fresh mozzarella cheese.
To Grill: Preheat grill to medium heat. Place tomatoes, garlic and chicken in foil packet. Top chicken with lemon slices. Seal foil packet and grill for 30 minutes or until chicken has reached internal temp of 165 F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 42g