This simple smashed chickpea & avocado salad is good on a sandwich, wrap or just over a salad for a healthy, vegetarian chicken salad recipe.
I have to say, even though this coronavirus is a crazy & scary situation, I am so thankful my office job is allowing me to work from home.
Dallas is very, very happy about that and it gives me way more time to brainstorm recipes, taste-test and photograph :).
So if there's one thing positive to come out of this, it's the fact that I get to be safe and sound in the comfort of my own home.
Unfortunately, I know there are tons of people who do not have this luxury, my husband included, and I just want to say you are all greatly appreciated and highly respected.
The scariest part for me is going to the supermarkets and seeing bare shelves. This was the point where I realized how serious this pandemic was.
I had a lump in my throat last Friday going to do my usual weekly shopping and not being able to get 80% of the items on my list.
This just made me realize we have to be smarter about our shopping and try to use what we have on hand if we can't get fresh produce or meats.
Hence, the idea of this smashed chickpea salad recipe.
It uses canned chickpeas, a little Greek yogurt (or mayo), Dijon mustard, onion, celery and carrot.
Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Ingredients:
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
- Dijon Mustard
- Greek Yogurt (or mayo)
- Garlic Powder
- Fresh lemon juice
Optional Add-ins for this vegetarian chicken salad:
- Bell pepper
- Banana peppers
- Black olives
- Chopped Tomatoes
I'm keeping this chickpea salad recipe simple, but you can add or subtract anything you'd like to make your own version!
How to make simple chickpea salad:
- Add drained and rinsed chickpeas to a bowl. Mash with the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher (affiliate link). (The chickpeas don;t have to be fully mashed, a few whole beans are fine!)
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Ways to enjoy mashed chickpea salad:
- Over a salad
- On whole grain or multigrain bread (add some lettuce, tomatoes or sprouts if desired!)
- In a whole grain wrap
- On pita bread
For more healthy lunch recipes try:
- Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries
- Fresh Shrimp Spring Roll Bowls
- Crunchy Asian Salad with Peanut Sesame Dressing
- Greek Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- 2 15.5 oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup carrot, diced small or shredded (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced small, (about 2 stalks)
- ½ cup onion, finely diced (about ½ onion)
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt, or mayo
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- juice from 1 lemon
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 avocado, diced, see recipe notes
- Place chickpeas in a medium sized bowl. Roughly mash with potato masher or back of a wooden spoon. (It's okay to have some whole chickpeas)
- Stir in remaining ingredients (see optional add-ins in recipe notes). Mix to combine.
- Serve over salad, as a sandwich on multigrain bread, in a pita wrap, etc.
*Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
*If you'd rather the chickpeas be finely ground, you can make this in your food processor.
*Optional add-ins: chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, black olives.
*To prevent avocado from browning, you can add it in as needed if preferred.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 230 g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 15.29gSaturated Fat: 2.23gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 17.24gFiber: 8.8gSugar: 4.77gProtein: 6.34g