Healthy & fresh shrimp spring roll bowls are topped with peanut dressing for an easy deconstructed version of a Vietnamese classic.
You know those cold appetizer spring rolls you get at a Vietnamese/Asian restaurant? They’re wrapped in this stretchy, translucent rice paper and filled with fresh crunchy ingredients and you get that amazing peanut dressing with crushed peanuts in it?
These fresh shrimp spring roll bowls are exactly like those delicious appetizers except they’re a deconstructed version that’s served in a nice big bowl instead of wrapped in the rice paper.
Here in Rhode Island I know a lot of restaurants call them Nime Chow on the menu, but I think they’re more commonly known as Spring or Summer rolls.
Either way, they’re crunchy, light, and delicious and this version is perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner!
What’s in Vietnamese spring rolls?
- Thin Rice noodles also known as Vermicelli (I like to use brown rice noodles, they’re gluten free and you can buy them in a pack of 6 here)
- Shrimp (or you can omit for a vegan/vegetarian version)
- Fresh Mint & Basil
- Bean Sprouts
- Chopped Romaine Lettuce
- Shredded Carrots
- Diced Cucumber
The summer roll bowls get topped with a delicious peanut dressing that’s a little sweet with a great umami flavor from the fish sauce.
The peanut dressing for our fresh summer roll bowls is made with:
- Lime Juice
- White Vinegar
- Fish Sauce (can substitute Soy sauce for vegetarian/vegan version)
- Chopped Peanuts
These spring roll salad bowls can be made ahead for a healthy lunch meal prep recipe or served for a light summer dinner.
No guilt here if you end up eating half the bowl; it’s made with all fresh, raw, good-for-you ingredients.
Not only are they healthy, but they’re literally made in under 30 minutes, and the only “cooking” you have to do is boiling your noodles and shrimp.
You can easily omit the shrimp and substitute chicken or you can leave it out all together for a vegan/vegetarian version.
The noodles are also gluten free, just double check your packaging as some brands may vary.
We go to this little BYOB restaurant that’s got a variety of Vietnamese, Cambodian and Thai on their menu. Everything is made from scratch and so delicious!
Every time we go, I get an order of the “nime chow” and it never disappoints. It’s just so fresh and crunchy, which I like after devouring some crab Rangoon’s ;).
My mom and I have actually replicated the nime chow rolls at home, and while I do love picking them up and biting into them, they are tedious to hand roll each one, which is why this bowl version is so great.
Quick, no fuss, and easily eaten…just how I like it.
For more delicious and easy healthy salad recipes try:
Fresh Shrimp Spring Roll Bowls
- 1/2 cup Hot water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 1.5 tsp White Vinegar
- 1.5 tsp Fish Sauce omit for vegan version
- 1 large Garlic Clove minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts
Spring Roll Salad
- 4 oz. Rice noodles I used brown rice noodles
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce roughly chopped
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- ¼ cup Fresh Mint roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh Basil roughly chopped
- 1 Cucumber skin peeled & quartered
- 1 lb. Cooked Shrimp (omit for vegan/vegetarian version)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts
- Combine hot water and sugar in a small bowl. Let cool completely.
- Once cooled, add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside.
Spring Roll Salad
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water until cool to the touch, drain and set aside.
- Combine remaining salad ingredients in a large serving bowl. Cut rice noodles in half and add to bowl. Toss to evenly combine ingredients.
- Serve with dressing and extra crushed peanuts if desired.