Simple & healthy, this farro spinach salad with apples has a delicious honey Dijon dressing, shaved Parmesan cheese, sliced red onion and toasted pine nuts.
Not only is this spinach & farro salad tasty, but it’s healthy, easy to make, and a delightful step up from your boring old salad routine.
Raw spinach makes an excellent lettuce alternative. It’s got more minerals, vitamins and fiber than regular lettuce. Its leaves are nice and tender (kind of like butter lettuce!) making it great for eating raw.
Farro is an ancient grain with similar texture to barley. It’s got a nutty flavor with a chewy texture, making it a great add-in on salads! It’s also a good source of protein and vitamins A & E.
To make this easy and healthy farro spinach salad with apples:
- Combine raw spinach, cooked farro, thin sliced red onions and thin sliced apples in a large bowl.
- Top with toasted pine nuts, shaved Parmesan pieces.
- Pour honey Dijon dressing onto the salad, and toss to evenly combine.
- Serve cold or at room temp.
The dressing for this spinach farro salad is super flavorful, made with:
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
A couple of tips:
- If you don’t plan on eating the whole salad in one sitting, I recommend leaving it undressed and tossing with the dressing as served because as the spinach sits, it will get wilted.
- Pine nuts compliment the flavors in the salad nicely, however if you’d rather use another type of nut such as walnut, pistachio, etc. feel free!
- For added protein and to make this a complete meal, top with grilled chicken, spinach or steak!
Farro spinach salad with apples is a great salad recipe for any season: perfect for fall, winter, spring or summer, it’s light and healthy for any occasion.
What to serve with this spinach salad?
For more delicious salad recipes try:
Spinach Farro & Apple Salad
- 1 Bag Fresh Spinach
- 1/2 cup Farro
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts, toasted (can substitute any nut)
- ½ cup Shaved Parmesan Slices
- 1 ½ cup Apple Slices, about 2 apples
- ½ Red Onion, sliced thin
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp Balsamic
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Add remaining salad ingredients to large bowl. Toss with cooked farro.
- Make honey Dijon dressing by adding all ingredients in a small bowl or mason jar. Whisk well to combine (or cover jar tightly and shake vigorously)
- Dress salad right before serving. Toss to evenly combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g