Quick and easy, these BBQ chicken pizza pinwheels with caramelized onions and cheddar cheese make the perfect football party appetizer or party snack.
Say the word BBQ and I’m in. Say the words BBQ AND pizza and I’m instantly drooling…exaggerating? Nope.
These BBQ chicken pizza pinwheel appetizers are what BBQ lovers dreams are made of: pizza dough is rolled out and layered with BBQ, chicken, caramelized onions, cheddar cheese and topped with more BBQ sauce. The dough is rolled up and sliced before baked to golden cheesy perfection.
If you’re not a BBQ sauce fan (I’ll forgive you) you can use any pizza toppings/fillings that you’d like:
- Buffalo Chicken
This pizza dough pinwheel recipe is easy to switch up and swap ingredients…as long as you have your dough and cheese, go crazy!
These pizza spirals make the perfect party appetizers. I mean, I wouldn’t necessarily bring them to a formal sit down dinner or anything but hey, you never know, they could steal the show!
Anytime we have a super bowl party, I always fall back on these BBQ chicken pizza pinwheel appetizers and my white chicken chili with corn and beans. Two simple and EASY football party recipes everyone loves.
Some tips to making the perfect pinwheels are:
1. Stretching the dough out thin enough (about a 13” x 7” rectangle is perfect!). You don’t want it too thick and you don’t want it too thin.
2. Making sure to roll the dough tightly enough while stuffing any filling that may fall out back inside. You don’t want to roll too loose or you’ll end up with over-sized doughy pinwheels.
3. Before baking in the oven, I always brush my pinwheels with butter (or olive oil), giving them a perfectly golden and crispy crust.
You can use store bought dough or if you really want to go all out, try making your own dough (my favorite recipe here).
P.S. Did you know you can freeze pizza dough? I always have an extra pound of two in my freezer for those last minute parties/get-togethers I need appetizers for. You can make these easy pizza appetizers ahead of time and freeze unbaked until ready to use.
Really simple and easy to make, these BBQ chicken pizza pinwheels are tasty, no fuss appetizers perfect for a crowd. Like I always say, save a stash of them for yourself ‘cause they’re gonna go fast ;).
BBQ Chicken Pizza Pinwheels
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 large Yellow Onion sliced
- pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Granulated Sugar
- Flour for dusting
- 1 lb Pizza dough store bought or homemade
- 1 lb Shredded Chicken about 2 cups, see recipe notes
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce plus extra for dipping
- Olive Oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet with Crisco or olive oil.
- Make caramelized onions: heat butter over medium-low heat in sauté pan. Add onions, pinch of salt and sugar; stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, golden and caramelized (about 25-30 minutes). Set aside.
- Stretch dough out on a floured surface to about a 13”x7” rectangle.
- Add chicken, caramelized onions, cheese and bbq sauce.
- Roll dough up, lengthwise, like you would a jellyroll. Be sure to tightly tuck in as you roll so filling stays inside.
- Cut into 2” slices and place flat on greased baking pan. Brush gently with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until dough is crispy and golden. Serve warm with extra bbq sauce for dipping (if desired!).
*You can make these up to 3 days ahead of time and store in refrigerator until ready to cook.
*If you have leftovers, simply store in airtight container or zip lock bag and reheat in oven until warmed through and crispy.