Crispy air fryer goat cheese & sweet potato bites are rolled in cornflakes and drizzled with honey for an easy bite-sized appetizer recipe.
‘Tis the season for stretchy pants, over-sized sweaters, and getting into your PJ’s with a glass of wine by 6 pm (anyone else???).
Seriously though, between Christmas and now New Years, I’ve eaten enough carbs and cheese to get me through till 2021.
It’s all good though and worth every Christmas cookie…(yes, I’m still snacking on the leftover cookies because I have 0 self control).
Anyways…we are officially onto 2020 (sounds so futuristic, doesn’t it?).
These air fryer goat cheese & sweet potato bites are the perfect appetizers to ring in the New Year.
They’re made with mashed sweet potatoes, goat cheese & touch of balsamic, then rolled in flour, egg then crushed corn flakes and air fried until slightly golden and crispy. Lastly, they’re generously drizzled with honey and fresh rosemary.
Like a mixture between a fancy mozzarella stick and potato croquette.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Goat Cheese Bites:
- Mashed sweet potatoes
- Goat Cheese
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Corn Flakes
- Honey (I prefer my homemade hot honey recipe for a little sweet & spicy action)
How to make these healthy air fryer appetizers:
- Combine mashed sweet potato, goat cheese, salt, pepper and balsamic in a medium sized bowl.
- Take about 1 tbsp size spoonfuls and shape into a ball with your hands. Place on a baking sheet and pop in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into flour, then egg, then corn flakes and place bake onto baking sheet. Repeat with remaining balls. Freeze again for 10-15 minutes.
- Once chilled again, place about 4-5 balls into your air fryer basket, careful to not overcrowd, and bake for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees until slightly browned and crispy.
- Let cool 2 minutes before removing. Place on a plate, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with fresh rosemary.
- Serve immediately.
These easy air fryer goat cheese & sweet potato bites can be made ahead until ready to eat.
Simply, follow recipe instructions up until the air frying part. You can keep the prepared bites in the freezer for up to 12 hours. Once ready to serve, then place into your air fryer.
Goat cheese balls can also be baked in the oven if you don’t have an air fryer. Place the balls on a cooling rack lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Here’s an affordable air fryer that’s got a bigger basket size (affiliate link).
For more easy party appetizers try:
- Roasted Tomato & Garlic Bruschetta with Ricotta
- Savory Rosemary Shortbread Mini Tarts with Gorgonzola & Blackberry Jam
- Apple & Cheddar Puff Pastries with salted Maple Syrup
- Naan Flatbread Pizza with Fig Jam, Prosciutto & Gorgonzola
Air Fryer Goat Cheese & Sweet Potato Bites
- 1 sweet potato about 1 cup
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 cup corn flakes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Poke holes in your sweet potato, wrap with paper towel and place in the microwave for 4-6 minutes or until softened. Remove and peel off skin.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Place baked sweet potato in a medium size bowl. Add goat cheese, balsamic, salt and pepper. Stir until evenly combined.
- Take about 1 tbsp of the mixture and roll it in your hands into a ball shape. Place on the baking sheet and repeat. Place balls in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Place corn flakes in your food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Place the crumbs in a shallow bowl. Repeat with the flour and egg so you have 3 separate bowls.
- Once the balls are chilled, remove from freezer. Roll into flour mixture, then egg mixture, and lastly in the cornflakes. Place back onto baking sheet and repeat with remaining balls. Freeze again for 10 minutes.
- Place about 4-5 goat cheese balls (depending on the size of your air fryer) about 1" apart and bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. They should be lightly golden and crispy.
- Let cool 2 minutes before removing. Place onto a serving plate and drizzle generously with honey and sprinkle with fresh rosemary. (drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired).
- Serve immediately.