Sheet pan Asian chicken thighs with broccoli is a quick and easy family dinner. Chicken thighs get marinated, then baked in the oven until crispy and finished with a delicious Asian sticky sauce!
What's better than an easy sheet pan dinner recipe?
Everything comes together on one pan, with minimum dishes to wash, and happily full tummies.
My kind of dinner!
These sheet pan Asian chicken thighs are my go-to easy dinner recipe that everyone loves.
The chicken gets marinated in a quick Asian marinade before it gets baked in the oven then glazed with a super flavorful sticky sauce.
It's perfectly crispy, juicy, and sticky all in one easy dinner!
Oh yeah, and we can't forget broccoli is thrown on the pan too for good measure.
Be sure to read through my secrets for getting that perfectly crispy chicken skin at the end of the post!
Asian marinade ingredients for our chicken thighs:
- soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- lime juice
- brown sugar (or honey)
- olive oil (or avocado/coconut oil)
- fish sauce
- garlic chili sauce (optional)
Simply mix the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl, then add your chicken thighs and give them a good massage.
Cover the bowl and let rest at room temperature for up to 30 minutes.
Letting the chicken come to room temperature before cooking it, helps it to stay juicy and cook more evenly than if you were to place a cold chicken in the oven.
This trick goes for any meat, always let it come to room temperature before cooking!
Instructions for cooking sheet pan Asian chicken thighs:
- While chicken is marinating, preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper. I like to spray mine with non stick cooking spray to ensure the skin does not stick to the pan!
- Once the chicken has marinated for at least 30 minutes place chicken skin side DOWN on the pan (be sure to reserve the marinade liquid). Cook chicken for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add marinade liquid to a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes until it has thickened slightly into a basting sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove pan from the oven and flip chicken over. Add broccoli florets and spread out evenly around the chicken.
- Brush chicken with the glaze and return to oven for 20 more minutes or until broccoli is tender and chicken is nicely browned.
- If skin is not crispy, turn broiler setting on and cook another 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Brush again with extra glaze if desired. Top with scallions and sesame seeds (optional).
Tips for perfect sheet pan chicken:
- I prefer bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. You could use boneless chicken thighs, but you won't get that crispy skin since they are skinless. I also think the bone-in thighs are juicier!
- Make sure you generously spray the parchment paper (or aluminum foil if using) with a non stick spray to prevent the chicken from sticking!
- If you do decide to broil the chicken to get that extra crispy skin, keep a VERY careful watch because it can get burnt quickly.
- If you're in a pinch and don't have time to marinade the chicken, no worries. You can skip that step and simply boil it to make the glaze. I find the marinade gives an extra measure of moistness and flavor :).
What to serve with Asian chicken thighs & broccoli?
- white or brown rice
- baked sweet potato
- stir fried vegetables
- cauliflower fried rice (my favorite!)
For more easy family dinners try:
- Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Pasta with Spinach
- Mexican Chicken Foil Packets
- Crispy Air Fryer Lemon Herb Chicken Thighs
- BBQ Chicken & Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil, or avocado/coconut oil
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce (optional)
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- scallions, for serving (optional)
- sesame seeds, for serving (optional)
- Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, fish sauce, oil, and chili garlic sauce (if using). Add chicken thighs and massage to generously coat each piece. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
- While chicken is marinating, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray generously with non stick cooking spray (I prefer avocado oil spray).
- Once the chicken has marinated, place chicken on prepared sheet pan (skin side down), reserving the marinade liquid. Place sheet pan in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, transfer marinade liquid to a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-7 additional minutes until liquid has reduced slightly and thickened. Set aside.
- Remove sheet pan from oven. Flip chicken over and evenly spread broccoli florets around the chicken. Brush chicken generously with marinade glaze. Return to oven for 20 more minutes.
- If skin is not super crispy, turn broiler setting on and broil for 2-3 minutes until desired crispiness, keeping careful watch not to burn. Brush one last time with any leftover sticky glaze.
- Sprinkle tops of chicken with scallions and sesame seeds if desired.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes and serve over rice.
*Recipe modified 7/11/2023. The original recipe used aluminum foil and there were numerous complaints about the chicken skin getting stuck to the foil. I've revised this recipe to use parchment paper, as it doesn't stick especially when sprayed and it's a healthier choice than aluminum! If the aluminum foil worked for you, then continue using that instead of the parchment if preferred!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 27.18gSaturated Fat: 6.72gUnsaturated Fat: 18.2gCholesterol: 182mgSodium: 1086mgCarbohydrates: 18.56gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 14.48gProtein: 34.96g