This easy roasted broccoli pesto is a delicious vegetarian recipe that can be served over pasta or spaghetti squash for a healthy dinner!
Got a bunch of broccoli and not sure what to do with it?
This roasted broccoli pesto is easy, healthy and super yummy.
It beats that boring steamed broccoli no one likes to eat ;).
Besides, it's made with a few simple ingredients you can have a healthy dinner ready in no time.
I love good old basil pesto (pesto alla genovese), but I don't always have fresh basil on hand, especially in the dead of winter.
That's when I like to use this broccoli pesto recipe because it uses ingredients I (almost always) have.
Perfect for a last minute healthy dinner, plus it's so versatile!
Just like regular pesto, you can use this pesto alternative on pasta, spaghetti squash or on chicken.
Roasted Broccoli Pesto Ingredients:
- broccoli florets
- pine nuts (or any other nut you have!)
- grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- fresh spinach/arugula (optional but adds nutrition and freshness)
- lemon juice
How to make roasted broccoli pesto pasta:
- Roast broccoli until slightly browned and crispy (about 25-30 minutes). Let cool 5 minutes before blending.
- Add roasted broccoli, nuts, cheese, garlic, spinach, lemon juice and salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Gradually add the olive oil while blending until you achieve your desired consistency (some like their pesto chunky while others prefer it smooth).
- Add to spaghetti squash (or pasta of choice). Top with dollops of ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese.
For this recipe, I used spaghetti squash mixed with my broccoli pesto, then topped it with dollops of fresh ricotta cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
If you want to stick with the low-carb theme, try it over zucchini noodles, or mixed with cauliflower rice for more of a casserole vibe!
Ways to use your broccoli pesto:
- Pasta with broccoli pesto & ricotta
- Chicken stuffed with roasted broccoli pesto
- Broccoli pesto bruschetta
- Roasted broccoli pesto pizza
Or you can just eat spoonfuls on a cracker like me ;).
For more easy pesto recipes try:
- Farro with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Arugula Walnut & Basil Pesto Sauce
- Creamy Pesto Cauliflower Gnocchi Bake
- Pesto Quinoa with Balsamic Grilled Peaches
Roasted Broccoli Pesto
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
- ¼ cup olive oil , plus more as needed
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- ½ cup toasted nuts, (I used half pine nuts, half walnuts)
- ½ cup fresh spinach, or arugula
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
Broccoli Pesto over Pasta
- 1 lb pasta, or spaghetti squash/zoodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, optional
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place broccoli florets on a baking sheet. Drizzle with about 1 tbsp of olive oil, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Toss to combine. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway, until florets are browned and tender Set aside to cool for 5 minutes
- Place roasted broccoli, nuts, remaining ½ tsp of salt, ½ tsp pepper, spinach, Parmesan cheese, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Pulse to combine.
- Gradually add in ¼ cup of olive oil while blending. Pulse until pesto is desired consistency (I like it on the chunky side). Add more olive oil if needed.
- Cook pasta/spaghetti squash. Toss with broccoli pesto and serve with dollops of ricotta cheese.
- Top with extra Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g