Juicy, boneless pan seared chicken thighs with cranberry Dijon gravy takes just 30 minutes on the stove top for an easy weeknight dinner!
If I had a dollar for every time I said I loved one pan chicken recipes, man I'd be (almost) rich.
These pan seared chicken thighs with cranberry Dijon sauce are juicy, tender and SO flavorful.
And yes, they're made on the stove top in one pan for a quick and easy dinner you can have ready in just 30 minutes!
Made with boneless skinless chicken thighs, cranberries, Dijon, rosemary and thyme, it's an easy fall/winter dinner recipe that doesn't disappoint.
Now that we set the clocks ahead, it's getting dark by 5pm which means I'm sneaking into my PJ's by 5:05pm...any one else with me?
It also means comfort food season has officially begun, so I prefer my smothered chicken thighs with cranberry Dijon gravy to be served over a heaping pile of roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
Thank god for stretchy pants ;).
What you need for easy stove top chicken thighs:
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
- ground ginger
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- homemade cranberry sauce
- Dijon mustard
- chicken broth
Let's talk cranberry sauce for a minute.
I highly recommend using homemade cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries in this chicken thigh recipe.
Canned cranberry sauce will work if you have to use it, but I would suggest using only the whole berry cranberry sauce, not the jellied.
I promise the homemade cranberry sauce will be worth it and it's SO easy to make. Any leftover sauce can be stored for up to 1 week.
You could make this using bone-in chicken thighs; just adjust the cooking time to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through or reaches an internal temperature of at least 165F.
How to make pan seared chicken thighs with cranberry Dijon sauce:
- Combine ¼ cup of flour, salt, pepper, and ¼ teaspoon each: ginger, thyme rosemary in a shallow bowl.
- Pat dry your chicken thighs and dredge each side in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet or cast iron pan. Once hot, add chicken thighs, working in batches to not crowd the pan (you may have to do 2 thighs at a time).
- Cook about 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add balsamic vinegar. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in onion and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Stir for 1 minute, then add cranberry sauce, Dijon and remaining ¼ teaspoon each of ginger, thyme and rosemary. Stir to combine (mixture will be thick).
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Once combined, bring to a simmer, lower to medium-low heat, add chicken back to pan and cook additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.
Tips for juicy stove top chicken thighs:
- Let your chicken sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before pan-searing. This will ensure even cooking.
- Don't over crowd your pan. If your skillet can only fit two comfortably, then work in batches.
- Deglaze the pan using the balsamic vinegar. This adds great flavor by bringing up all those brown bits from the chicken! If you don't have balsamic vinegar, use white wine or chicken broth.
How long do I pan fry boneless chicken thighs for?
Boneless chicken thighs take anywhere from 12-15 minutes to pan fry.
You can cut into a piece to make sure it is no longer pink or you use a thermometer to check that the internal temperature is at least 165 F.
What to serve with pan seared chicken thighs:
- mashed potatoes (my fav!)
- green beans
- wild rice
- oven roasted potatoes (or sweet potatoes)
- roasted broccoli
For more easy chicken dinner recipes try:
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
- Everything Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Crispy Air Fryer Lemon-Herb Chicken Thighs
- Sheet Pan Asian Chicken Thighs with Broccoli
Don't forget to comment below or leave a rating if you make this recipe!
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (*see recipe notes)
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce (*see recipe notes)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable)
- Combine ¼ cup of flour, salt, pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of each: ginger, thyme rosemary in a shallow bowl.
- Pat your chicken thighs dry and dredge each side in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet or cast iron pan. Once hot, add chicken thighs, (working in batches if needed to not crowd the pan).
- Cook about 5-6 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add balsamic vinegar. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Stir for 1 minute, then add cranberry sauce, Dijon mustard and remaining ¼ teaspoon each of ginger, thyme and rosemary. Stir to combine (mixture will be thick).
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Once combined, bring to a simmer then lower to medium-low heat. Add chicken back to pan and cook additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.
*White wine or chicken broth can be substituted for the balsamic vinegar.
*Homemade cranberry sauce works best in this recipe. You can use canned cranberry sauce, but be sure it is whole berry cranberry sauce not the jellied!
*If using bone-in chicken thighs, be sure to adjust the cooking time to ensure the middle is fully cooked through or the internal temperature reaches at least 165 F.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 214mgSodium: 776mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 43g