Peanut butter pretzel brownies are a sweet & salty dessert: with a pretzel crust, peanut butter swirled brownies & topped with potato chips!
I’m the type of snack-eater that needs to go back and forth between sweet & salty. (A chocolate chip for every handful of popcorn is my type of snacking!).
These peanut butter pretzel brownies are the ultimate flavor combo because they’re made with a pretzel crust, fudgy brownie batter that’s swirled with peanut butter and topped with crushed potato chips, pretzel pieces and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Some might say this is too much going on by for this junk-food queen it’s the perfect guilty pleasure ;).
What you’ll need to make these peanut butter swirled brownies:
- Boxed brownie mix or your favorite homemade recipe
- Creamy peanut butter
- Potato Chips
- Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
How to make peanut butter pretzel brownies:
- Combine crushed pretzels, melted butter and sugar in a small bowl. Stir to combine (it should hold it’s shape when you squeeze it in your hand). Evenly spread over baking pan and firmly press down with your fingertips or the bottom of a glass. Bake for 7 minutes.
- Prepare brownie batter according to recipe/package instructions. Place spoonfuls of peanut butter on top of the batter and use a butter knife to swirl back and forth into the brownie batter.
- Top with crushed potato chips, pretzel pieces and chocolate chips, pressing gently with your finger tips into the batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting.
- Use a food processor to finely crush your pretzel pieces. The more fine the crumb, the better the crust will hold together. If you don’t have a food processor, place in a large zip lock bag and crush as fine as you can (I like to use a heavy rolling pin for this job!).
- You can use a boxed brownie mix or whip up your favorite homemade recipe, it’s totally up to you. I like using a fudgy brownie mix or my favorite fudge brownie recipe.
- You can top the brownies with a whole pretzel piece as I did in my picture, or you can coarsely crush up extra pretzels and use those.
These pretzel crusted peanut butter brownies are just what I was craving for my superbowl party. A lot of sweet fudgy goodness, a little peanut butter cause why not, and pretzels and potato chips for good measure :).
I recommend storing leftovers (if by chance you have any!) in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Looking for more sweet treats?
- Lavender & Sea Salt Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Butterscotch Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate & Red Wine Cupcakes with Raspberry Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
Pretzel Peanut Butter Brownies
- 3 cups pretzels
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or granulated
- 6 tbsp butter melted
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix or use your favorite homemade recipe
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups crushed potato chips with ridges preferred
- ½ cup crushed pretzel pieces and whole pretzels if desired
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips semisweet or dark
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9”x13” baking dish with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place pretzels in your food processor and pulse until you have tiny pretzel pieces (alternatively you could place the pretzels in large zip lock bag and use a rolling pin to finely crush).
- Transfer pretzel crumbs to a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar and melted butter until well combined (mixture should hold its shape when you squeeze it together in your hand, add more butter if needed).
- Pour pretzel crust mixture into prepare baking dish and evenly spread using your hands. Use the bottom of a glass to firmly press the mixture down.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove and set aside.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Place peanut butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 20 seconds just until softened (not melted). Set aside.
- Prepare brownie batter according to package directions and pour on top of pretzel crust, evenly spreading with a spatula.
- Place dollops of softened peanut butter on top of brownie batter, then use a butter knife to swirl the peanut butter into the brownie batter going back and forth horizontally and then a couple times vertically.
- Top brownie batter evenly with crushed potato chips, pretzel pieces and chocolate chips. Press gently into batter using your fingers Press whole pretzel piece about 2” apart into batter (if desired).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and set on cooling rack. Let cool completely before cutting.