Instant pot chicken and noodles is a homemade classic. Juicy whole chicken, vegetables, savory herbs and cream of chicken make this the best chicken and noodles recipe the family will love! (Stove top directions also available at bottom of recipe card).
When you're craving easy comfort food, this homemade chicken and noodles hits the spot every time.
Made while whole chicken thighs, carrots, onions, celery and savory herbs like thyme and rosemary, it's full of flavor and makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside ;).
The secret to this instant pot chicken and noodles recipe is to use bone-in chicken for added flavor and some cream of chicken soup for a bit of creaminess.
Whether you make this recipe for chicken noodles in the instant pot or on the stove top, you'll end up with a tasty, easy homecooked dinner the family will love!
Shortly after moving in with John, I quickly realized he had a typical Italian mother who would often drop off home-cooked dinners for him.
Usually she would bring a big container of his favorite, "Chicken and Noodles".
At first I couldn’t believe that out of all the delicious Italian food (lasagna, stuffed shells, meatballs, etc.) this chicken and noodles” was his favorite.
Me, being a foodie, though it was the most boring thing…plain chicken over egg noodles...why on earth would he crave that so much?
Well, I had my first bowl and knew exactly why: it is the most simple, yet comforting dish!
The juices from the chicken along with the onions are put over egg noodles with some grated cheese and fresh ground pepper and voila there you have it...Johnny's chicken and noodles by mama Lang.
Now, this is not your typical chicken and noodles in soup form. It's much, much better...
I decided to try my own spin on it and while it was definitely not Mama Lang’s good old Chicken and Noodles, it's our own version :).
Chicken and Noodles Ingredients:
- bone-in chicken thighs
- salt & pepper
- bay leaf, thyme & rosemary
- white wine
- chicken stock/broth
- cream of chicken soup
- egg noodles
Let's talk chicken...
I HIGHLY recommend using bone-in chicken for this recipe and I'll tell you why. FLAVORRRRRR.
The bones and skin give that depth of rich flavor you can't get from chicken breasts.
After the chicken cooks, we de-bone it so all you're left with is chunks of juicy, tender, chicken.
I like to keep my celery, onion and carrots rather chunky, but if you want to dice them smaller, you can certainly do so.
If you have fresh herbs available, by all means use them instead!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles:
- Set instant pot to "SAUTE" function. Add butter and melt.
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Add to instant pot and cook 5-7 per side until golden brown.
- Add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in white wine, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, then add rosemary, thyme and bay leaf.
- Set instant pot to PRESSURE COOK HIGH for 20 minutes.
- Quick release pressure until valve pops up. Open lid and discard bay leaf. Remove chicken thighs and once slightly cooled, debone and remove the skin.
- Add meat back to the instant pot (I like to keep the chicken on the chunkier side).
- Stir in ¾ can of cream of chicken soup.
- Cook egg noodles according to package. Serve and enjoy!
- 4 TBS butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-5 Chicken thighs, skin on bone in
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 3 celery stalks, cut into thirds
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 3 garlic gloves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth, low sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme, or fresh if you have it
- 1 can cream of chicken, light
- 1 package of egg noodles
- Grated Cheese, optional
- In Dutch oven or large 6 qt stock pan melt butter over medium-high heat. Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towel and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Add to pan and cook until nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Add in white wine and let cook 2 minutes.
- Add in chopped carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add in herbs and chicken stock. Stir.
- Bring to simmer, cover and let cook on low for 1-2 hours.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Discard stems from herbs and bay leaf. Let chicken cool before deboneing.
- Meanwhile, whisk in can of cream of chicken. Bring back to simmer and let cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Using your hands, debone your chicken thighs, discarding bones and any fatty or unwanted pieces. I like to keep the chicken pieces chunky. Add back to pan.
- Bring large salted pot of water to boil. Cook egg noodles according to package.
- Spoon chicken and veggies over noodles and serve with fresh ground pepper, grated cheese and garlic bread (optional)
To store leftovers, I recommend keeping your cooked noodles separate from your chicken. Sometimes the noodles get too soggy if you mix everything together.
Bone-in chicken definitely gives you a nice base of flavor, but boneless will work too!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g