Homemade Stove Top Chicken and Noodles
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission (to support my tea drinking habit) if you click a link and buy something. Please check out my full DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
A simple and easy comfort food recipe, homemade stove top chicken and noodles is made with succulent chicken, carrots, celery and onion in a creamy broth served over buttery egg noodles.
Shortly after moving in with John, I quickly realized he had a typical Italian mother who would often drop off home-cooked dinners for him.
Usually she would bring a big container of his favorite, Chicken and Noodles. At first I couldn’t believe that out of all the delicious Italian food there is: lasagna, stuffed shells, meatballs, the list goes on and on… this “Chicken and Noodles” was his favorite.
I mean it’s the most boring thing…plain chicken over egg noodles? Why on earth would he crave that so much? Well, I had my first bowl and knew exactly why…it is the most simple, yet comforting dish! The juices from the chicken along with the onions are put over egg noodles with some grated cheese and fresh ground pepper and voila there you have it…
Johnny’s Chicken and Noodles by Mama Lang.
Now, I would never ever try to replicate this recipe…it just would never be the same and why mess with a good thing, right? Howeverrrrr, we haven’t had a bowl of chicken and noodles brought over to us in quite some time and I’m starting to feel neglected…I’ll forgive her though because she has a beautiful new grand-baby and quite busy these days babysitting her and our baby Dallas.
I decided to try my own spin on it and while it was definitely not Mama Lang’s good old Chicken and Noodles, it filled the void and left our tummies happy and full.
The key to getting the ultimate flavor is using bone-in chicken. The bone is the most flavorful part so don’t be afraid to use it. You can certainly use boneless if you prefer, it will still be tasty!
I like to keep my celery, onion and carrots rather chunky, but if you want to dice them smaller, you can certainly do so. Also, if you have fresh herbs available, by all means use them instead!
The best homemade Chicken and Noodles recipe made on the stovetop. It’s the best comfort food recipe made from simple ingredients.
Homemade Chicken and Noodles
- 4 TBS butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 Chicken thighs skin on bone in
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into thirds
- 3 celery stalks cut into thirds
- 2 yellow onions quartered
- 3 garlic gloves roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth low sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme or fresh if you have it
- 1 can cream of chicken light
- 1 package of egg noodles
- Grated Cheese optional
- In Dutch oven or large 6 qt stock pan melt butter over medium-high heat. Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towel and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Add to pan and cook until nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Add in white wine and let cook 2 minutes.
- Add in chopped carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add in herbs and chicken stock. Stir.
- Bring to simmer, cover and let cook on low for 1-2 hours.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Discard stems from herbs and bay leaf. Let chicken cool before deboneing.
- Meanwhile, whisk in can of cream of chicken. Bring back to simmer and let cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Using your hands, debone your chicken thighs, discarding bones and any fatty or unwanted pieces. I like to keep the chicken pieces chunky. Add back to pan.
- Bring large salted pot of water to boil. Cook egg noodles according to package.
- Spoon chicken and veggies over noodles and serve with fresh ground pepper, grated cheese and garlic bread (optional)
Sign up below and never miss a recipe!