Easy bacon wrapped stuffed meatloaf is brushed with BBQ sauce and stuffed with cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms.
BBQ & bacon wrapped meatloaf stuffed with cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms is a game changer in the old school meatloaf world.
Oh no my friend, this is not another boring, dry meatloaf recipe you may have been scarred with when you were a kid.
Not only is this meatloaf wrapped in bacon, but it's cheese stuffed, glazed with BBQ, full of flavor and perfectly moist.
Now that's my kind of meatloaf :).
I do have a deep love for my Italian spinach & mozzarella stuffed meatloaf recipe, but nothing like BBQ and bacon.
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Meatloaf Ingredients:
- Ground beef
- Bread crumb
- Diced onion
- Minced garlic
- Caramelized onions
- Cheddar cheese
- BBQ sauce
For any meatloaf recipe, I prefer 85/15 or 80/20 ratio. The fat creates a nice juicy and flavorful meatloaf.
I'll usually make the caramelized onions and mushrooms a day or two ahead just to save time when preparing the meatloaf since they do take a good half hour to fully caramelize.
How to make cheese stuffed meatloaf:
- Prepare the caramelized onions and mushrooms: melt butter in saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, Worcester, BBQ, diced onion and garlic. Mix with your hands until fully combined.
- On clean surface, form half of the meat mixture into a loaf shape. Create an indent in the middle and fill with mushrooms, onions and cheese. Top with remaining meat mixture and form to seal the edges.
- Transfer meatloaf to a aluminum lined baking sheet lined with a cooling rack.
- Wrap with bacon, on top of the meatloaf, tucking the excess underneath.
- Brush generously with BBQ sauce and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 F.
- If bacon isn't crispy to your liking, turn broiler on and cook additional 2 minutes or until crispy.
Tips for BBQ bacon wrapped meatloaf:
- Use a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack instead of a loaf pan to cook your meatloaf. This will create air circulation to make sure your bacon gets crispy and not steamed.
- Tucking the overhang of the bacon under the loaf keeps the bacon from shrinking and curling as it bakes.
- Let the meatloaf rest 10 minutes before cutting into and serving.
For more easy family dinners try:
- Crockpot French Onion Beef Stroganoff
- Chunky Beef Crockpot Chili
- Sheet Pan Asian Chicken Thighs with Broccoli
- Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Pasta with Spinach
For the Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp salt
For the BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- 2 lbs ground beef, 80/20 or 85/15
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce, plus more for brushing
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 8-10 slices bacon
For the Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms
- Melt butter over medium heat in large saute pan. Add sliced onions, mushrooms and salt. Stir to combine.
- Once onions have softened, turn heat down to medium low and let onions and mushrooms caramelize, stirring occasionally until deep golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the Meatloaf
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a cooling rack on top.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, diced onion, garlic, breadcrumb, olive oil, eggs, Worcestershire, Dijon, BBQ sauce, salt and pepper. Mix gently with your hands until fully incorporated, being careful not to over mix!
- Take half of the meat mixture and form into a rectangle loaf shape on clean surface. Make a indent in the middle and fill with caramelized mushrooms, onions, and cheddar cheese. Take the remaining half of meat mixture and gently seal the edges while smoothing the loaf.
- Carefully transfer the meatloaf onto the prepared cooling rack-lined backing sheet. Brush loaf generously with BBQ sauce. Wrap bacon slices around the loaf, slightly overlapping and tucking the overhang under the loaf to prevent shrinking. Brush loaf again with BBQ sauce.
- Bake for 1 hr or until internal temperature of meat is 160 F. (If bacon isn't crispy, turn broiler setting on, and cook additional 2 minutes or until bacon is crispy.)
- Remove and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 356 g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 853Total Fat: 66.12gSaturated Fat: 21.93gTrans Fat: 2.36gUnsaturated Fat: 23.9gCholesterol: 205mgSodium: 903mgCarbohydrates: 21.96gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 5.99gProtein: 41.85g