Stuffed Acorn Squash with Barley, Chicken Sausage, Apple & Goat Cheese
An easy fall dinner, this baked stuffed acorn squash with barley, chicken sausage, apple & goat cheese is a deliciously quick & healthy dinner recipe with tons of fall flavor. It’s topped with an oat and pecan topping for an amazing winter squash recipe.
Stuffed Vegetables for dinner are always a plus in my book. A complete nutritious meal served in its own edible bowl. Stuffed peppers, stuffed zucchini, stuffed acorn squash…healthy and easy, they’re a one dish meal with tons of ingredient options.
Just last week the leaves were at the peak of the season bursting with bright reds, oranges, and yellows, and then, just like that, they’re mostly brown and almost bare. Mother Nature sure is amazing, giving us a gentle reminder that winter is right around the corner.
Speaking of winter, I have to say this is the earliest I’ve begun my Christmas shopping. I’d like to think I’m a seasoned shopper now that I’m 28… all this Christmas shopping is putting me in the holiday mood (even though it’s only the beginning of November).
But anyways, let’s not rush Christmas. GOSH ALYSSA, it’s not even thanksgiving!
Perfectly roasted acorn squash ready for stuffing…
Baked stuffed acorn squash recipe is filled with barley, chicken sausage, apple, carrots, fall spices and creamy goat cheese. Then it’s topped with a crunchy oat and pecan topping and baked to perfection for an easy fall or winter dinner recipe.
This hearty stuffed acorn squash recipe is bursting with toasty, cozy warm fall flavors making it the perfect lunch or dinner recipe for in between the changing autumn and winter seasons.
Stuffed Acorn Squash with barley, Chicken Sausage, Apple & Goat Cheese
- 2 Whole Acorn Squash
- 3 tbsp Olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Barley
- 1/2 cup Broth or Water
- ½ Yellow onion diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 Carrot peeled and diced
- 1 Apple peeled cored and diced
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 Chicken Sausages cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Sage or 2 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary or 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup 3oz Goat Cheese, crumbles (see recipe notes)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut each acorn squash in half. Scoop out the seeds, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place open side down on an aluminum lined baking sheet and bake 45-60 minutes until fork tender and softened. Remove and set aside.
- Place the pecans, oats and cinnamon on a baking sheet. Stir to combine and bake for about 7-10 minutes until toasted and slightly golden. Set aside.
- While acorn squash is baking, make your stuffing: bring 1/2 cup of broth (or water) to a boil in a small saucepan. Add barley, turn to low, and simmer 20-25 minutes until liquid is fully absorbed and barley is fully cooked. Set aside
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add in diced onions and carrots and cook 7-10 minutes until translucent and softened.
- Add in apples, garlic, chicken sausage, and spices. Cook additional 5 minutes. Stir in the goat cheese crumbles and half of the oat/pecan mixture.
- Once acorn squash is fully cooked, fill each half with about 1 cup of filling (see recipe notes). Bake additional 10-15 minutes. Top with remaining oat/pecan mixture and serve.
Sign up below and never miss a recipe!