Pumpkin spiced coffee cake is made from scratch with a cinnamon swirl and streusel topping made with brown butter, chai spice, pecans and finished with a chocolate drizzle. This moist pumpkin spice coffee cake recipe with chai crumble topping is one of the best pumpkin desserts that’s scrumptious and easy to make!
I know the word “moist” is despised by many, but amongst us foodies I think it’s safe to use only when describing food, particularly cake ;).
That’s exactly what this cake is…moist, tender, and perfectly spiced.
On a side note: John and I are leaving for Nashville on Saturday…I’m SO EXCITED…Just my man and me, good country music, and awesome food.
I’m currently sitting on my couch, planning our itinerary, while having a piece of this deliciously moist (there’s that word again!) pumpkin spice coffee cake with chai crumble topping and a cup of hot tea.
I must say, it’s certainly hitting the spot right now because my house is freezing and we refuse to turn on the heat until at least November (suck it up buttercup, right?).
Easy homemade pumpkin spice coffee cake with sour cream and cinnamon swirl is perfectly moist while the streusel crumble topping is nutty and buttery with a hint of cozy chai spice.
I wasn’t sure if I should call the topping a streusel or crumble because seriously, what’s the difference? So I learned something new: it depends on the ratio of fat: sugar: flour. Therefore, in this recipe, we’re using a crumble :).
Either way it’s amazingly good: brown butter, toasted pecans, chai spice and brown sugar…what’s not to love?
Put it all together and you have the best recipe for moist pumpkin spice coffee cake with chai crumble topping with chocolate drizzle-perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning, an easy thanksgiving dessert or just a sweet fall treat!
For more Pumpkin Recipes Try:
Chai Crumble Topping (recipe adapted from Cookie Named Desire)
- ½ cup Pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
Pumpkin Coffee Cake (recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour)
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin purée, not pie filling
- ¼ cup Sour cream, or Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice, or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Place chopped pecans on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, checking every couple of minutes so you don’t burn them. Remove from oven and set aside (keep oven on for the cake).
- Meanwhile, place butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Continue to melt, stirring or swirling around occasionally, until butter is foamy and you see brown specks (about 5-7 minutes). It should be an amber color and smell nutty.
- Combine sugars, spices, salt and flour in small bowl. Add in pecans and melted brown butter.
- Mix with fork until you have large clumps. Set aside.
- Whisk together sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Set aside.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake:
- Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking pan or a 9” cake pan.
- Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, sour cream, spices, salt, and baking powder until smooth.
- Add the flour, stirring just until combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it all the way to the edges
- Sprinkle evenly with swirl filling. Top with remaining batter and spread until even.
- Top with crumble topping, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, rotating halfway, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on cooling rack while.
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted and smooth (or heat on a double boiler).
- Drizzle chocolate on top of cake and serve warm or room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sign up below for more easy, healthy and low carb recipes!