A homemade gluten free pizza crust made from mashed sweet potatoes and oats; topped with ricotta cheese, honey balsamic roasted beets, spinach, caramelized onions, Asiago cheese and walnuts. Healthy veggie pizza with gluten free sweet potato crust is a tasty and easy pizza recipe.
This pizza recipe has been in the back of my mind for almost a year…I often scribble down random ideas that pop in my head and it could be the very next day or a year later that I actually make them.
I have notes every where in the house; I know, I know, I could just safe myself the trouble or worry of losing them by type them out in my phone or on my computer, but there’s something about physically writing down a recipe that makes me think better and feel more satisfied. Kind of like when I’m making my grocery lists, I don’t know why, but it always has to be on paper…is anyone else like this?
I think I was hesitant with this recipe because A.) I really didn’t know how all those ingredients would work with each other and B.) I’m really not a fan of beets (yuck).
Beets are such a beautiful color and really good for you but it’s one of the very few ingredients I just can’t warm up to…That is, until I made this pizza, and I can honestly say if you’re not a beet fan like myself, you might be converted after trying this recipe.
The sweet potato crust is super easy to make. I got the recipe from Pinch of Yum (original recipe here). I doubled the recipe to make one big pizza to fit on my pizza stone, but if you prefer to make the single batch for an individual pizza, feel free to do so.
Healthy veggie pizza with gluten free sweet potato crust is such a delicious grown up pizza with unique pizza toppings that pair wonderfully together. Make it for dinner, as an appetizer, or even for lunch!
The beets are roasted in the oven with balsamic, honey and rosemary. This brings out their natural sweetness, and gives them a more palatable taste rather than the “dirt” taste I really don’t like. Paired with creamy ricotta cheese, buttery caramelized onions, fresh spinach and nutty Asiago cheese, they give beautiful contrast and flavor.
Similar to cauliflower crust, the sweet potato crust is a delicious healthy pizza crust alternative for a delicious gluten free pizza dough.
For more Gluten Free Recipes Try:
Healthy Thai Meatballs with Coconut Curry Peanut Sauce over Veggie Noodles
Easy Baked Pecan Crusted Fish
Healthy Veggie Pizza with Gluten Free Sweet Potato Crust
- 2 X Sweet Potato Crust Recipe from Pinch of Yum (see recipe notes)
- 2 Beets peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 Yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Asiago cheese shredded/grated
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Walnuts roughly chopped
- Balsamic Reduction for drizzling (see recipe notes)
- Make sweet potato crust recipe via Pinch of Yum (see recipe notes). Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place sliced beets on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, balsamic, honey, rosemary, salt and pepper. Toss and coat evenly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until softened and caramelized. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While beets are roasting, melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are golden and caramelized. About 20-25 minutes. Set aside.
- Assemble pizza: spread ricotta evenly on pizza crust. (Leave a 1” edge for “crust”). Top with spinach and sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle with both cheeses. Top with roasted beets, caramelized onions and walnuts.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with balsamic vinegar reduction.
Sign up below and never miss a recipe!