Healthy Mexican Chicken Foil Packets
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission (to support my tea drinking habit) if you click a link and buy something. Please check out my full DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Healthy Mexican chicken foil packets are baked in the oven for a quick and easy make-ahead dinner. Made with peppers, onions, black beans and corn, topped with salsa, Greek yogurt and cheese-it’s a low carb, simple dinner recipe.
Lately I’ve been on a foil packet dinner kick. The cold weather here in RI makes me extremely lazy and its pitch black out when I get home so all I want to do is put my PJ’s on and mummify myself on the couch in a blanket.
These healthy Mexican chicken foil packets are super easy to make and very flavorful. I like to prep them on Sunday and get them all ready in their little foil beds so all I have to do is pull them out of the refrigerator and bake them for dinner on Monday (or Tuesday if I’m being extra lazy). I like them over a bed of brown rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa which you can also make ahead and store in a container.
Speaking of cauliflower rice, if you LOVE Mexican, but want to keep it low carb and healthy, try my recipe for Easy, Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice Bowls as well!
Foil packets are an easy make-ahead lunch or dinner; if you’re only cooking for yourself you’ll have a healthy lunch or dinner all prepped for the whole week!
My sister and her boyfreind are temporarily staying with us so I’ve been cooking for 4 instead of 2 these days. Usually it’s just me and Dallas so I’m not used to having an audience in my kitchen; I kinda feel like I’m on a cooking show. It makes for a good comedy show too, cause one night when I was baking cookies my sister asked if cream of tartar was what they used to make tartar sauce. Not a bad guess though ;).
To make the foil packets, simply form 4 rectangle “trays” by folding up the sides of your aluminum. If you can’t fit all 4 on the baking sheet, simply use 2 pans instead.
The filling for these Mexican chicken foil packets are simply peppers, onions, black beans and corn that are tossed in Mexican seasoning. Feel free to add/remove any ingredients. (I bet zucchini would be really good for some extra veggies!)
I like to make my own homemade taco seasoning. It’s super simple and has less sodium than the packets (even the low-sodium ones)! I like to use The Recipe Critic’s recipe, click here. One batch of the taco seasoning will be enough for this recipe.
On top of the veggies we’re putting 1 chicken breast per foil pack. The chicken is also sprinkled with Mexican seasoning and topped with Greek yogurt, salsa and cheese. The yogurt and salsa keep the chicken juicy and moist when baked in the oven.
If you want to do a vegetarian or vegan option for these foil packets, (as I did in the picture below), simply omit the chicken (and yogurt and cheese if vegan), and add more veggies if you’d like. It’s still flavorful and protein packed from the black beans
Healthy Mexican Chicken Foil Packets are great for a quick and easy low carb family dinner. They’re simple to make ahead, and you can even freeze them uncooked for a last minute dinner. Perfect for weekly meal planning too 🙂
Healthy Mexican Chicken Foil Packets
- 1 15 oz can Yellow Corn drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Bell Peppers seeds removed and sliced
- 1 Onion sliced (red or yellow)
- 1 package Taco Seasoning low sodium (or use 2 tbsp homemade blend-see notes)
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Greek Yogurt or low-fat sour cream, see recipe notes
- 1 Chipotle Pepper optional (see recipe notes)
- 1/3 cup Salsa
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese Mexican blend or Cheddar
- Cilantro chopped
- 1 Lime
- 1 Avocado chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (if your using a grill preheat to medium-high heat). Place 4, 8-10” foil pieces on baking sheet (you may need to use two baking sheets: 2 foils per sheet). Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Roll up the edges of the foil to create a 1” border, so the juices don’t leak out (see picture above).
- In medium bowl, mix together corn, beans, peppers, onions and about ½ of your taco seasoning (or about 1 tbsp). Divide evenly into 4 foil packets.
- Place chicken on each foil sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining taco seasoning (1 tbsp) on both sides.
- Spread Greek yogurt on top of chicken, then salsa. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and cilantro. Squeeze 1/4 of a lime over each foil packet.
- Top each packet with another piece of foil, making sure to seal the edges so the juices don’t leak out.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and veggies are tender. (see recipe notes for grill instructions)
- Slice chicken on a diagonal into strips and serve over rice (if desired) with avocado, extra Greek yogurt, salsa and lime if desired!