A traditional Christmas cookie favorite gets a healthy makeover for a delicious paleo, vegan and gluten free dessert. Healthy Crispy Peanut Butter Balls (aka bon-bons or buckeyes) are made with natural peanut butter, coconut flour, quinoa crispies & chocolate for a simple & easy no bake Christmas cookie recipe you don’t have to feel guilty about!
Peanut butter balls are a Christmas cookie necessity in my house. Chocolate + Peanut Butter…yes please!!!
While I absolutely loveeee Christmas cookies, I decided to try giving these a healthy spin because I’ve been going a little crazy on the comfort foods and carbs (mmmm Chicken & Noodles & Beef Stroganoff).
These are perfect for when I’m on the couch and that voice inside my head says “chocollaatteeee”.
Gosh, that voice is so persuasive I can never say no ;). Anyone else have that problem???
Healthy crispy peanut butter balls are not only an easy, no bake Christmas cookie recipe, but a year-round healthy paleo, gluten free and vegan snack that are packed with protein yet tastes like dessert!
I found this recipe for homemade quinoa crispies (recipe here), which is what I used for the crunch factor in these treats (they also add protein and fiber).
You can find commercially made “quinoa puffs” at the store, which from what I read are fluffier and airy in texture. I decided to make my own though since I always have quinoa in my pantry and they came out pretty darn crunchy!
The peanut butter powder and coconut flour replace the powdered sugar normally used in the traditional recipe and the maple syrup adds some natural sweetness.
Lastly, if you’re following the Paleo diet, you will want to use Paleo friendly chocolate chips. If you’re not following Paleo, regular chocolate chips are fine!
*Tip*: I add coconut oil (or any other kind of oil) to my chocolate chips when melting because it adds a nice shine and helps them melt more smoothly for dipping.
Healthy crispy peanut butter balls are easy to make and use only 6 ingredients all of which are vegan, gluten and dairy free, and paleo approved. They taste very similar to the traditional Christmas Peanut butter balls with Rice Krispies but with less sugar and more protein making them a perfect holiday treat or even just a healthy snack!
- ½ cup Quinoa Crispies, store bough or recipe in notes
- 1 cup Natural Peanut Butter
- 3 tbsp Peanut Butter Powder
- 1 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 3 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips, paleo approved such as Enjoy Life
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- Make quinoa crispies and set aside. (Recipe in notes). You should end up with about ½ cup cooked quinoa crispies.
- Mix together peanut butter, peanut butter powder, coconut flour, maple syrup and vanilla. Add in quinoa crispies and stir until evenly combined.
- Shape into 1” balls and place on wax paper lined sheet pan. Refrigerate to firm up while you melt the chocolate (at least 30 minutes or you can place in freezer for 10-15 minutes).
- Place 3/4 cup of chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwaveable bowl (or melt in a double boiler by filling a small sauce pan ½” with water bringing to a simmer. Place bowl with chocolate chips and coconut oil on top and stir until melted)
- Dip balls into chocolate, shake off any excess and place on parchment or wax paper to harden.
- Decorate with sprinkles if desired before the chocolate fully sets.
*Quinoa crispies can be homemade-click here for easy recipe!
*You could also buy Quinoa Puffs already made which are more airy and fluffly!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sign up below and never miss a recipe!