Healthy & crispy baked vegetarian taquitos with cauliflower taco meat, avocado-chipotle cream sauce, and shredded cheese; a quick and easy vegetarian dinner recipe.
Taco Tuesdays just got unbelievably deliciously healthy…
Crispy baked vegetarian taquitos with cauliflower taco meat is a delicious and easy vegetarian dinner recipe: made with a veggie taco meat substitute made from lentils, cauliflower and mushrooms that’s sautéd with taco seasoning and rolled in a flour tortilla; they’re perfectly filling, healthy, meatless and a quick and easy dinner recipe!
For another AWESOME healthy TacoTuesday dinner, check out my Easy Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice Bowls
*Full disclosure, I’m not a vegetarian* (I just love short ribs waayyyy too much)
I love creating delicious vegetarian recipes so I can show us non-vegetarians that vegetarians eat good stuff too other than leaves, rabbit food and tofu ;).
And besides, just because it says a recipe is vegetarian doesn’t mean only vegetarians can eat it!
Believe it or not, this little veggie filled taquitos are quite filling and packed with fiber and protein. The chipotle cream sauce adds a zip of awesomeness and the cheese, well that’s just a given.
If you want to make a vegan version of this recipe, simply omit the cream sauce and cheese and use a vegan queso like this delicious Jalepeno Vegan Queso from Minimalist Baker (recipe here).
Crispy baked vegetarian taquitos with lentil and cauliflower taco meat is a deliciously healthy and easy Meatless Monday dinner recipe!
Crispy Baked Vegetarian Taquitos with Cauliflower Taco Meat
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in adobe sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 Avocado
- Juice of ½ Lime
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- Chipotle Cream Sauce
- In food processor or with a hand blender blend all ingredients. Set aside. (see recipe notes)
- 1/2 cup dried Lentils
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Head of Caulilfower florets chopped small
- 8 oz package of Mushrooms chopped small
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning store bought or homemade-see recipe notes
- 1-2 tbsp Diced Green Chillies or Salsa
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese cheddar, Colby, etc
- 10-12 Soft Flour tortillas whole grain if preferred
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove minced or grated
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- In food processor or with a hand blender, blend all ingredients. Set aside. (see recipe notes)
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add lentils, turn to low, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until lentils are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
- While lentils are cooking, chop cauliflower and mushrooms into small, bite-sized pieces. (Alternatively you could place in a food processor).
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, mushrooms, lentils, and taco seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened and slightly browned (about 15 minutes).
- Add in green chiles (or salsa) and cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and more taco seasoning if needed. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to small saucepan. Add garlic and cook on low until garlic infuses, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Brush bottom of a 13”x9” glass pan with garlic infused olive oil.
- To assemble taquitos: spread about 1 tbsp of the chipotle cream sauce evenly on the tortilla. Add about 1/3 cup of filling and top with about 2 tbsp of shredded cheese. Roll, tucking in the edges and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas or until filling is gone (you should get about 12 taquitos).
- Brush tops of taquitos with garlic infused olive oil and bake 20-25 minutes until lightly golden and toasted.