This easy creamy tomato basil bisque soup is hands down the best homemade tomato soup recipe. Thick & velvety smooth tomato soup with cream cheese and hints of basil; it’s the best comfort food recipe that’s ready in about 30 minutes!
I think I’ve said it before but in case you forgot-soup and grilled cheese is one of my favorite meals. It’s cozy, soul-warming, and easy to make…simple comfort food at its finest.
We had one of those weekends with no plans and nothing to do. Aaaamazzinggg. It’s also in the 30’s at night now so who feels like going out in that cold? (You can tell we’re getting old).
The best part was, we made tomato soup and grilled cheeses for dinner (insert my happy food dance here). I usually follow a copycat Panera Bread creamy tomato soup recipe, but this time I decided to wing it, and oh my god I’m glad I did! This is the BEST and creamiest tomato soup I’ve ever made (and I’ve made A LOT).
So it was just me, Dallas, John and my delicious creamy tomato soup snuggled on the couch Saturday night, binge watching a new Netflix show…my idea of a perfect weekend (Although, it was mostly me and Dallas snuggling because Dallas tends to kick poor John out of his spot on the couch).
Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque Soup is the best and easiest tomato soup recipe.
I think the secret to its perfect creaminess is the addition of cream cheese which gives it an even smoother texture and cuts down on the acid from the tomatoes.
This soup recipe is just as comforting as my Homemade Chicken and Noodles recipe :).
Cream of tomato soup, tomato bisque, creamy tomato basil soup…or whatever you want to call it-if you’re looking for a simple and easy creamy tomato soup recipe, this is the one to try.
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, diced, about 1/2 onion
- 1 Carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp Dried Basil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1, 28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Half & Half, or milk
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Melt butter over medium heat in soup pan or Dutch oven. Add onions and carrots and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add in dried basil and garlic, cook additional 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and tomato paste, mixture will turn to a thick paste. Continue whisking for 1 minute.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock; stir to combine. Turn heat down to low, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in half & half, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until fully combined.
- Using a hand blender puree until smooth and velvety; or, spoon mixture into blender and carefully blend until smooth (don’t fill the blender all the way, as the hot ingredients may cause it to overflow!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sign up below and never miss a recipe!