Cheesy and creamy baked pumpkin mac and cheese with a brown butter cracker topping is the best comfort food casserole recipe for a cold fall (or winter) day. This easy, homemade & gourmet macaroni and cheese is great for a thanksgiving side dish or a cozy dinner recipe.
My two favorite things: carbs and cheese. Is there anything better?
If you need a break from the diets and low carbs this is the recipe you’re gonna want to cheat on your healthy-self with. Everyone deserves some cheesy carbs in their life once in a while ;).
And let me tell you, this dish is anything but short on the cheese…3 different cheeses are melted together with pumpkin puree for a velvety smooth cheese sauce you’ll be licking off your spoon and probably dreaming about it later on.
This stove top mac and cheese is easy comfort food made from scratch. If you’re looking for a gourmet, easy mac and cheese recipe this is your guy!
It's got a subtle hint of pumpkin and spice with the addition of cream cheese for a silky smooth sauce. The topping is a mixture of Ritz crackers, nutty brown butter and a sprinkle of rosemary. All baked until bubbly and golden.
Warm, cozy, cheesy and delicious!
I’m all about feeling healthy, especially with my food, BUT sometimes we need to indulge, and this is one of my favorite dishes to do just that :).
Pajamas, a glass of whiskey, and a bowl of this creamy baked pumpkin mac and cheese…
all I need in life on this cold Sunday night.
For more cozy homemade pumpkin recipes try:
- 1 ½ cups Ritz cracker crumbs, about 1 sleeve of crackers
- 2 tsp Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 stick + 3 TBS Butter, divided
- 2 TBS Bourbon Whiskey, optional
- 1 medium Yellow onion, diced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Salt, divided
- 1 Tsp Granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded or freshly grated
- 1 cup American cheese, cut into 1” pieces
- ⅓ cup Asiago cheese, shredded or freshly grated
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, cut into 1” pieces
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 TSP Dijon mustard
- 1 TSP Ground sage
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Allspice
- 1 lb Medium shell pasta
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place cracker crumbs and rosemary in small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue melting until the butter starts to get foamy. Continue cooking, keeping close watch, until brown specks start to form and you smell a nutty aroma. Remove from heat. *See Recipe Notes
- Pour half of the brown butter (¼ cup) into the bowl with the crushed crackers. Mix until well combined, set aside.
- To the remaining ¼ cup of brown butter, add 2 TBS Bourbon Whiskey. Set aside.
- In large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 3 TBS of butter. Add diced onions, ½ tsp salt and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add in flour, whisking constantly for 2-3 minutes until slightly browned.
- Add in brown butter/bourbon mixture. Whisk for 1 minute longer.
- Add in Milk and Half & Half, stirring often until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes (mixture will be bubbling).
- Stir in pumpkin, cheeses (cheddar, American, Asiago, & cream cheese), black pepper, remaining ½ tsp salt, mustard, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Bring large pan of water to boil, add pasta and cook according to pasta instructions. Drain.
- Add cooked pasta to cheese mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour into large 13"x9" baking dish, spreading out evenly.
- Sprinkle cracker crumb mixture on top, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until top is golden and cheeses are bubbly.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
*Click here for How to Brown Butter
*You can omit the bourbon altogether by just leaving it out of the recipe.
*To make this dish ahead: prepare as instructed, refrigerate and bake when ready to eat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sign up below for more easy, healthy and low carb recipes!